Re: [revelation-list] Re: Rev 2-3 and Rev 4ff

    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 8, 2009
      I hardly think that the author of the Epistle of James or that of First Peter were writing to Israelites

      1James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ,
      To the twelve tribes in the Dispersion:
      Greetings.

      The Holy Bible : New Revised Standard Version. 1989 (Jas 1:1). Nashville: Thomas Nelson Publishers.

      1Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ,
      To the exiles of the Dispersion in Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia, 2 who have been chosen and destined by God the Father and sanctified by the Spirit to be obedient to Jesus Christ and to be sprinkled with his blood:
      May grace and peace be yours in abundance.

      The Holy Bible : New Revised Standard Version. 1989 (1 Pe 1:1-2). Nashville: Thomas Nelson Publishers.

      Also note that the author of the Apocalypse speaks regarding the Jews in 3.9 as "I will make those of the synagogue of Satan who say that they are Jews and are not, but are lying."  The 144,000 of chapter 7 are said to have "his name and his Father’s name written on their foreheads" (14.1) and "they sing the song of Moses, the servant of God, and the song of the Lamb."  Thus it would appear that the OT saints and the Church together form the People of God.

      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 8, 2009
        It may be a mistake to adopt an exclusively Judaeo-centric
        approach to
        Revelation in particular and the NT in general.

        One of the very earliest NT writings was addressed, after
        all, not to Jews
        but to a Celtic people, i.e., Paul's Letter to the
        Galatians.

        The Galatians also boasted "twelve tribes," three for
        each of the four tetrarchies in Galatia.

        As for I Peter, there is no evidence for the historical
        existence of ANY Jewish communities in Galatia --
        although there is evidence for Jewish communties in Asia,
        Pontus, Cappadocia and (perhaps)
        Bithynia. So whose "disperson" are we speaking of here?

        The Celtic "dispersion" throughout the Mediterranean and
        larger Roman world was co-extensive
        (and larger by far) with that of the Jews. NT scholarship
        fixates on the Hebrew/Hellenic sources of
        early Christianity -- while ignoring at its peril the the
        enormous Celtic elephant in the room!

        Since contemporary Jewish scholarship is unanimous in
        rejecting the idea that the Galileans
        were ethnic Jews, the only alternative is that the
        Galileans were of gentile origin. Their name,
        "Galilaioi," would have suggested Celtic origins to a
        Graeco-Roman audience, and what we know
        of Galilean ethnography from Josephus is compatible with
        Celtic ethnography in the ancient sources.

        Celts were widely dispersed throughout the Middle East
        from the time of Alexander as mercenaries.
        They were well-known in Ptolemeic Egypt up to Roman times
        and beyond. Many of the Roman legions
        in the 1st century were levied from Gaul and Galatia, and
        Celtic forces under Roman rule were central
        to Vespasian's war againt the Jews and in securing the
        destruction of Jerusalem under Titus in AD 70.

        Yet this well-attested Celtic presence remains ignored in
        NT scholarship.

        This brings us back to Solomon Zeitlin's question of more
        than a quarter century ago:
        "Who Were the Galileans?" (Jewish Quarterly Review, 1974;
        65: pp. 189-203)

        Historians and NT scholars have yet to provide an adequate
        answer to this most
        fundamental question of Christian origins.

        Charles Gerard Larkin
        Faculty of Philosophy and Theology
        Saint Leo University (USA)

      • Tom Ricks
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 9, 2009
          Are you suggesting that the Great Whore is relegated only to Rome? Or
          are you saying that it symbolizes all "Romes" throughout the history of
          the church? I

          Tom

          Dr. Tom Ricks

          ________________________________

[...]

          <mailto:revelation-list%40yahoogroups.com> , "biblestudy"
          <biblestudy@...>
          wrote:

          > Can't see it myself. It is clear that "Israel", the idea of "12
          Tribes" "temple" "Jerusalem" are all symbolic in places in Revelation.
          Exegetical integrity would demand that one follow through interpreting
          all references in a symbolic way. It seems to me to be a strange
          exegetical model that would say some references are symbolic and some
          literal. This would open the door again to the Pretribulation school
          methodology which does just that.

          > For example:
          > 12 tribes is clearly meant to be symbolical in Rev 21,22 - the 12
          gates. What it is saying is that to get into the city one has to be a
          member of one of the 12 tribes. But the city is clearly the bride of
          Christ, the church, made up of people of every nation, not just
          Israelites.
          > That "Tribes" is symbolical elsewhere in Revelation is shown by the
          fact that the new Jerusalem is represented as a cube, thus having 12
          edges, or outside perimeters, each one measuring 12,000 stadia. Hence
          a total external measurement of 144,000, the same number as we find in
          Rev 7 and 14 concerning the "12 tribes". Again "144,000 Israelites" is
          clearly intended to be symbolic.

          > Same thing happens with "temple" whichis clearly are ference to the
          church in Rev 3 "make him a pillar in the temple..." It seems strange
          exegesis to then make "temple" literal in Chapter 11.

          > As for the harlot being Jerusalem - or even Rome - I admit the
          harlot system was alive and well in those cities at the time of Christ
          but to limit it to those literal cities would be a great mistake. The
          Harlot system is with us all the time. It is called Babylon because it
          began in Babel. But it rules over "7 mountains" which is a typical OT
          symbol for "empire", and "7" means "totality" i.e. over all the
          gentile empires. The harlot system is thus a Gentile system, not as
          Jewish one.

          > If we don't use the clues to symbolism John provides us with then we
          are just guessing out of our own minds.

          > Yours
          > John B

        • drjenney2
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 9, 2009
            I am confident the original meaning of the Revelation was the actual
            city of Rome. Thus, the "exegetical answer" is Rome itself.

            The "application answer" [hermeneutics proper] is trickier. Certainly
            God is opposed to all kinds of whoredom and, I suppose, there are many
            different cities and nations that have typified this kind of behavior
            since Revelation was penned.

            Ultimately, how one applies this analysis to the contemporary
            situation depends upon his/her/their perspective, far more than it
            depends upon Revelation itself.

            That's as far as I am willing to go on this list, the purpose of which
            is to support the scholarly discussion of Revelation. In my opinion,
            the application questions need to be discussed elsewhere, especially
            as some of them fall into the realm of sheer wild speculation.

            Blessings,
            Timothy P. Jenney, Ph.D.
            Regent University
            Moderator

          • KennethGentry@cs.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 9, 2009
              My understanding of Revelation is that it is a forensic drama presenting God's divorce of his OT wife Israel, and his taking?a new bride, the Church. John intentionally puts on the mantle of an OT prophet and denounces Israel in similar terms. This is why the book is so Judaic in its grammar and imagery, with innumerable allusions to OT passages.

              I believe the harlot is Jerusalem, who is being modeled on Jer 3 and Eze 16 (and?Isaiah 1). In Rev 17 she is seen riding the beast (Rome) because she depended on Rome to get at Christ and Christians. Remember her call in John's Gospel (I believe John also wrote Revelation): "We have no king but Caesar. Crucify him!" And this from a book that declares "he came to his own and his own received him not" (Jn 1:11). And from a book that repeatedly refers to?"the Jews" ---?in a bad light.

              This approach matches up with the two statements regarding "the synagogue of Satan" inhabited by people who "call themselves Jews" in Rev 2:9 and 3:9. This reminds us of Jesus' charge in John 8:44: "You are of your father the devil."

              This also explains the trampling of the temple (Rev 11:2), which language is modeled on Lk 21:24. It also explains the merging of Zech 12 and Dan 7 in Rev 1:7. This merger?uniquely occurs elsewhere only in Mt 24:31, which is explaining the destruction of the temple (cf. Mt 28:38-24:2, 16) in that "generation" (Mt 24:34). And the Olivet Discourse is given in the context of Israel's rejecting Christ (Mt 23:38) and soon persecution of his follows (Mt 23:32-36).

              The historical Jerusalem in Revelation is denounced as new Egypt (Rev 11:8), from which the persecuted Christians must?depart by means of an exodus (note Revelation's frequent exodus imagery and?Egyptian plague imagery, e.g., Rev 15:3; 18:4; etc., etc., etc.)

              I am convinced John is enhancing and expanding on Christ's Olivet Discourse (which may explain why it does not appear in his Gospel).

              I am currently researching and writing a 1000 page commentary on Revelation. It will be titled: "The Divorce of Israel: A Redemptive-historical Commentary on the Book of Revelation."

              Ken Gentry
              Author, Before Jerusalem Fell: Dating the Book of Revelation

              wrote:

              > Can't see it myself. It is clear that "Israel", the idea of "12
              Tribes" "temple" "Jerusalem" are all symbolic in places in Revelation.
              Exegetical integrity would demand that one follow through interpreting
              all references in a symbolic way. It seems to me to be a strange
              exegetical model that would say some references are symbolic and some
              literal. This wou
              ld open the door again to the Pretribulation school
              methodology which does just that.

              > For example:
              > 12 tribes is clearly meant to be symbolical in Rev 21,22 - the 12
              gates. What it is saying is that to get into the city one has to be a
              member of one of the 12 tribes. But the city is clearly the bride of
              Christ, the church, made up of people of every nation, not just
              Israelites.
              > That "Tribes" is symbolical elsewhere in Revelation is shown by the
              fact that the new Jerusalem is represented as a cube, thus having 12
              edges, or outside perimeters, each one measuring 12,000 stadia. Hence
              a total external measurement of 144,000, the same number as we find in
              Rev 7 and 14 concerning the "12 tribes". Again "144,000 Israelites" is
              clearly intended to be symbolic.

              > Same thing happens with "temple" whichis clearly are ference to the
              church in Rev 3 "make him a pillar in the temple..." It seems strange
              exegesis to then make "temple" literal in Chapter 11.

              > As for the harlot being Jerusalem - or even Rome - I admit the
              harlot system was alive and well in those cities at the time of Christ
              but to limit it to those literal cities would be a great mistake. The
              Harlot system is with us all the time. It is called Babylon because it
              began in Babel. But it rules over "7 mountains" which is a typical OT
              symbol for "empire", and "7" means "totality" i.e. over all the
              gentile empires. The harlot system is thus a Gentile system, not as
              Jewish one.

              > If we don't use the clues to symbolism John provides us with then we
              are just guessing out of our own minds.

              > Yours
              > John B

              mailto:revelation-list-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            • Tom Ricks
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 9, 2009
                Agree with your assessment and appreciate your thoughts. (Unfortunately
                I have heard way too much on the "wild speculation" side of the story!)

                Tom

                Dr. Tom Ricks

                ________________________________

                <mailto:revelation-list%40yahoogroups.com> , "Tom Ricks" <tom@...>
                wrote:

> [...]
                > clearly intended to be symbolic.
                > >
                > > Same thing happens with "temple" whichis clearly are ference to the
                > church in Rev 3 "make him a pillar in the temple..." It seems strange
                > exegesis to then make "temple" literal in Chapter 11.
                > >
                > > As for the harlot being Jerusalem - or even Rome - I admit the
                > harlot system was alive and well in those cities at the time of Christ
                > but to limit it to those literal cities would be a great mistake. The
                > Harlot system is with us all the time. It is called Babylon because it
                > began in Babel. But it rules over "7 mountains" which is a typical OT
                > symbol for "empire", and "7" means "totality" i.e. over all the
                > gentile empires. The harlot system is thus a Gentile system, not as
                > Jewish one.
                > >
                > > If we don't use the clues to symbolism John provides us with then we

              • biblestudy
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 9, 2009
                  Hi,
                  I did not mean to imply that one had to be a physical Israelite to enter the New Jerusalem. My point was that the idea of 12 tribes was clearly symbolic. After all Gentiles get in, don't we?
                  Also I was pointing out that the idea of 144,000 is clearly symbolic, being the external dimensions of the city, i.e. the border that includes all the inhabitants.
                  I don't think such interpretation is wooden at all. Simply reflects the symbols as given in the book. If we don't use the keys John gives us then we are inventing our own. And who says that we have been given the secret code?
                  John B

                  wrote:

                  > Can't see it myself. It is clear that "Israel", the idea of "12
                  Tribes" "temple" "Jerusalem" are all symbolic in places in Revelation.
                  Exegetical integrity would demand that one follow through interpreting
                  all references in a symbolic way. It seems to me to be a strange
                  exegetical model that would say some references are symbolic and some
                  literal. This would open the door again to the Pretribulation school
                  methodology which does just that.

                  > For example:
                  > 12 tribes is clearly meant to be symbolical in Rev 21,22 - the 12
                  gates. What it is saying is that to get into the city one has to be a
                  member of one of the 12 tribes. But the city is clearly the bride of
                  Christ, the church, made up of people of every nation, not just
                  Israelites.
                  > That "Tribes" is symbolical elsewhere in Revelation is shown by the
                  fact that the new Jerusalem is represented as a cube, thus having 12
                  edges, or outside perimeters, each one measuring 12,000 stadia. Hence
                  a total external measurement of 144,000, the same number as we find in
                  Rev 7 and 14 concerning the "12 tribes". Again "144,000 Israelites" is
                  clearly intended to be symbolic.

                  > Same thing happens with "temple" whichis clearly are ference to the
                  church in Rev 3 "make him a pillar in the temple..." It seems strange
                  exegesis to then make "temple" literal in Chapter 11.

                  > As for the harlot being Jerusalem - or even Rome - I admit the
                  harlot system was alive and well in those cities at the time of Christ
                  but to limit it to those literal cities would be a great mistake. The
                  Harlot system is with us all the time. It is called Babylon because it
                  began in Babel. But it rules over "7 mountains" which is a typical OT
                  symbol for "empire", and "7" means "totality" i.e. over all the
                  gentile empires. The harlot system is thus a Gentile system, not as
                  Jewish one.

                  > If we don't use the clues to symbolism John provides us with then we
                  are just guessing out of our own minds.

                  > Yours
                  > John B

                • biblestudy
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 9, 2009
                    I agree. Or even of Hebrews.
                    John B

                    wrote:

                    > Can't see it myself. It is clear that "Israel", the idea of "12
                    Tribes" "temple" "Jerusalem" are all symbolic in places in Revelation.
                    Exegetical integrity would demand that one follow through interpreting
                    all references in a symbolic way. It seems to me to be a strange
                    exegetical model that would say some references are symbolic and some
                    literal. This would open the door again to the Pretribulation school
                    methodology which does just that.

                    > For example:
                    > 12 tribes is clearly meant to be symbolical in Rev 21,22 - the 12
                    gates. What it is saying is that to get into the city one has to be a
                    member of one of the 12 tribes. But the city is clearly the bride of
                    Christ, the church, made up of people of every nation, not just
                    Israelites.
                    > That "Tribes" is symbolical elsewhere in Revelation is shown by the
                    fact that the new Jerusalem is represented as a cube, thus having 12
                    edges, or outside perimeters, each one measuring 12,000 stadia. Hence
                    a total external measurement of 144,000, the same number as we find in
                    Rev 7 and 14 concerning the "12 tribes". Again "144,000 Israelites" is
                    clearly intended to be symbolic.

                    > Same thing happens with "temple" whichis clearly are ference to the
                    church in Rev 3 "make him a pillar in the temple..." It seems strange
                    exegesis to then make "temple" literal in Chapter 11.

                    > As for the harlot being Jerusalem - or even Rome - I admit the
                    harlot system was alive and well in those cities at the time of Christ
                    but to limit it to those literal cities would be a great mistake. The
                    Harlot system is with us all the time. It is called Babylon because it
                    began in Babel. But it rules over "7 mountains" which is a typical OT
                    symbol for "empire", and "7" means "totality" i.e. over all the
                    gentile empires. The harlot system is thus a Gentile system, not as
                    Jewish one.

                    > If we don't use the clues to symbolism John provides us with then we
                    are just guessing out of our own minds.

                    > Yours
                    > John B
                    .

                  • biblestudy
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 9, 2009
                      I personally think the Great Whore is all the "Romes" of history. It is a system rather than a place and it has been present in all the seven "mountains" or empires of Gentile history - Babel, Assyria, Babylon, Medo Persia, Greece, Rome and will be present in the "Rome" of the "Beast".

                      (Obviously I am a futurist, not an Amillennialist or Historicist. Though I ,do not deny the truth of those interpretations. I think God has writeen Revelaiotn so that ther are several "layers" of interpretation, all of which are correct and not necessarily mutually exclusive. Probably I would be best categorised as an Idealist Futurist.)
                      John B

                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 9, 2009
                        By citing James and 1 Peter I was not attempting to imply that those addressed were Jews.  In fact, my intention was quite the opposite.  They were NOT ADDRESSING JEWS but Christians whom they were equating with Israel.  This seems to have been a common practice in the early Church.  The implication is that they Jews of the OT and the Church of the NT form one People of God.  The Church replaces the Jews so that the author of the Apocalypse can state that those who claim to be Jews, i.e. those who were physically Jews, were not the true Israel.

                        .

                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 9, 2009
                          I would disagree that the Whore of Babylon is Rome.� It would include Rome, but it would also represent any and all powers which attempt to wield power without reference to God and solely on the basis of human authority.� I think the equation of the Whore with any single world power is an error and leads to an attempt to find too much specific�"historical" reference in the work.� It certainly does not represent Jerusalem.
                          �george
                          gfsomsel

                          � search for truth, hear truth,

                          I am confident the original meaning of the Revelation was the actual
                          city of Rome. Thus, the "exegetical answer" is Rome itself.

                          The "application answer" [hermeneutics proper] is trickier. Certainly
                          God is opposed to all kinds of whoredom and, I suppose, there are many
                          different cities and nations that have typified this kind of behavior
                          since Revelation was penned.

                          Ultimately, how one applies this analysis to the contemporary
                          situation depends upon his/her/their perspective, far more than it
                          depends upon Revelation itself.

                          That's as far as I am willing to go on this list, the purpose of which
                          is to support the scholarly discussion of Revelation. In my opinion,
                          the application questions need to be discussed elsewhere, especially
                          as some of them fall into the realm of sheer wild speculation.

                          Blessings,
                          Timothy P. Jenney, Ph.D.
                          Regent University
                          Moderator

                          --- In revelation-list@ yahoogroups. com, "Tom Ricks" <tom@...> wrote:

                          > Are you suggesting that the Great Whore is relegated only to Rome? Or
                          > are you saying that it symbolizes all "Romes" throughout the history of
                          > the church? I
                          >

                          > Tom
                          >
                          > Dr. Tom Ricks
                          >

                          > ____________ _________ _________ __

                          .

                        • Moriah Plastics (Coates)
                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 10, 2009
                            What would the New Perspective on Paul have to say about the communal salvic
                            nature of the flight from Jerusalem?

                            J Coates

                            From: revelation-list@ <mailto:revelation-list%40yahoogroups.com>
                            yahoogroups.com
[...]

                            --- In revelation-list@ <mailto:revelation-list%40yahoogroups.com>
                            yahoogroups.com
                            wrote:

                            > Can't see it myself. It is clear that "Israel", the idea of "12
                            Tribes" "temple" "Jerusalem" are all symbolic in places in Revelation.
                            Exegetical integrity would demand that one follow through interpreting
                            all references in a symbolic way. It seems to me to be a strange
                            exegetical model that would say some references are symbolic and some
                            literal. This wou
                            ld open the door again to the Pretribulation school
                            methodology which does just that.

                            > For example:
                            > 12 tribes is clearly meant to be symbolical in Rev 21,22 - the 12
                            gates. What it is saying is that to get into the city one has to be a
                            member of one of the 12 tribes. But the city is clearly the bride of
                            Christ, the church, made up of people of every nation, not just
                            Israelites.
                            > That "Tribes" is symbolical elsewhere in Revelation is shown by the
                            fact that the new Jerusalem is represented as a cube, thus having 12
                            edges, or outside perimeters, each one measuring 12,000 stadia. Hence
                            a total external measurement of 144,000, the same number as we find in
                            Rev 7 and 14 concerning the "12 tribes". Again "144,000 Israelites" is
                            clearly intended to be symbolic.

                            > Same thing happens with "temple" whichis clearly are ference to the
                            church in Rev 3 "make him a pillar in the temple..." It seems strange
                            exegesis to then make "temple" literal in Chapter 11.

                            > As for the harlot being Jerusalem - or even Rome - I admit the
                            harlot system was alive and well in those cities at the time of Christ
                            but to limit it to those literal cities would be a great mistake. The
                            Harlot system is with us all the time. It is called Babylon because it
                            began in Babel. But it rules over "7 mountains" which is a typical OT
                            symbol for "empire", and "7" means "totality" i.e. over all the
                            gentile empires. The harlot system is thus a Gentile system, not as
                            Jewish one.

                            > If we don't use the clues to symbolism John provides us with then we
                            are just guessing out of our own minds.

                            > Yours
                            > John B

                            mailto:revelation-list-
                            <mailto:revelation-list-fullfeatured%40yahoogroups.com>
                            fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com