RE: [revelation-list] Historical development of apocalyptic interpretation

  • Ian R. Brown
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 14, 2009
      You could try the 3 volume The encyclopedia of apocalypticism, by John
      Joseph Collins, Bernard McGinn, Stephen J Stein, which was abridged as the
      Continuum history of apocalypticism.

      Ian R. Brown

      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 15, 2009
        For a concise treatment of both the historical and contemporary
        scenes, I recommend Arthur Wainwright's Mysterious Apocalypse:
        Interpreting the Book of Revelation. Nashville: Abingdon Press, 1993.

        David Barr
        Professor of Religion
        Chair, Departments of Religion, Philosophy, & Classics
        Wright State University
        Dayton OH 45435

        937-775-2293
        937-775-2892 (FAX)

        On Jan 14, 2009, at 4:31 PM, Dr. Ian E. Rock wrote:

        > Would anyone be so kind to send me some suggestions of texts that
        > trace the development of apocalyptic interpretation from the first
        > century to the present?
        > Thanks

      • HUBBES Laszlo
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 17, 2009
          Dear Ian,

          another excellent study - although limited to the interpretations of
          the Book of Revelation - would be "Revelation" by Judith Kovacs and
          Christopher Rowland published in the Blackwell Bible Commentaries series.

          Hubbes Laszlo

          --- In revelation-list@yahoogroups.com, "Dr. Ian E. Rock"

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 17, 2009
            Dear Ian,

            For more on these and other relevant resources, se
            http://www.revelation-resources.com/category/history-of-interpretation/.

            Georg

            Dr. Georg S. Adamsen

            List founder, and editor

            another excellent study - although limited to the interpretations of
            the Book of Revelation - would be "Revelation" by Judith Kovacs and
            Christopher Rowland published in the Blackwell Bible Commentaries series.

            Hubbes Laszlo

            --- In revelation-list@yahoogroups.com
            <mailto:revelation-list%40yahoogroups.com> , "Dr. Ian E. Rock"