Historical development of apocalyptic interpretation

  • Dr. Ian E. Rock
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 14, 2009
      Would anyone be so kind to send me some suggestions of texts that trace the development of apocalyptic interpretation from the first century to the present?
      Thanks

    • Ian R. Brown
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 14, 2009
        You could try the 3 volume The encyclopedia of apocalypticism, by John
        Joseph Collins, Bernard McGinn, Stephen J Stein, which was abridged as the
        Continuum history of apocalypticism.

        Ian R. Brown

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 15, 2009
          For a concise treatment of both the historical and contemporary
          scenes, I recommend Arthur Wainwright's Mysterious Apocalypse:
          Interpreting the Book of Revelation. Nashville: Abingdon Press, 1993.

          David Barr
          Professor of Religion
          Chair, Departments of Religion, Philosophy, & Classics
          Wright State University
          Dayton OH 45435

          937-775-2293
          937-775-2892 (FAX)

          On Jan 14, 2009, at 4:31 PM, Dr. Ian E. Rock wrote:

          > Would anyone be so kind to send me some suggestions of texts that
          > trace the development of apocalyptic interpretation from the first
          > century to the present?
          > Thanks

        • HUBBES Laszlo
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 17, 2009
            Dear Ian,

            another excellent study - although limited to the interpretations of
            the Book of Revelation - would be "Revelation" by Judith Kovacs and
            Christopher Rowland published in the Blackwell Bible Commentaries series.

            Hubbes Laszlo

            --- In revelation-list@yahoogroups.com, "Dr. Ian E. Rock"

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 17, 2009
              Dear Ian,

              For more on these and other relevant resources, se
              http://www.revelation-resources.com/category/history-of-interpretation/.

              Georg

              Dr. Georg S. Adamsen

              List founder, and editor

              another excellent study - although limited to the interpretations of
              the Book of Revelation - would be "Revelation" by Judith Kovacs and
              Christopher Rowland published in the Blackwell Bible Commentaries series.

              Hubbes Laszlo

              --- In revelation-list@yahoogroups.com
              <mailto:revelation-list%40yahoogroups.com> , "Dr. Ian E. Rock"