Re: [revelation-list] Continuity

    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 14, 2009
      Thank you, I would appreciate it very much.
      �george
      gfsomsel

      � search for truth, hear truth,

      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 14, 2009
        I have wondered about the significance of 1.3 and 22.7, the hearing
        and heeding blessings. Between 4.1 and 22.6, little if anything needs
        to be heeded, in the sense of obeying. Seemingly, chaps. 4-22 have an
        entirely different purpose than 1-3, and 22.7-21. The only "commmands"
        in the Apocalypse are found in the beginning and ending of the book.
        Am I on the right track?
      • Ian R. Brown
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 14, 2009
          I would recommend looking at G. K. Beale's extensive commentary. He deals
          with the matter briefly in his introduction, then in the introduction to the
          letters, and then periodically throughout the commentary. He offers several
          reasons for linking the letters to the visions.

          Ian R. Brown

          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 14, 2009
            I would argue that what needs heeding in 4:1-22:6 is more implied than
            direct; for example, the implied command to avoid idolatry. Something more
            direct would be 13:10, 18; 14:12; 17:9.

            Ian R. Brown

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 14, 2009
              Do we take the term "heed," (tereo typically means to obey) to mean
              "pay attention to," or "to obey"? I am not certain of the presence
              implied commands in the 4-22 sections. If they are present, though,
              they are subsidiary to the overtly stated commands in the 1-3 and
              22.7f sections. The letters in 2-3, on the other hand, are filled with
              commands. Again, the question is how do chaps. 4-22 relate to chaps.
              2-3 in particular?