Re: [revelation-list] Continuity

    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 14, 2009
      My thesis is available from a number of European libraries. It may or may
      not be available from U.S. libraries as well. I do think that I still have
      one or two copies left, but, unfortunately, it is extremely expensive to
      send it to the U.S. I will take a look as to whether it is possible to make
      a PDF-version of it. PDF-technology has advanced since 2002, I guess.

      Georg

      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 14, 2009
        Thank you, I would appreciate it very much.
        �george
        gfsomsel

        � search for truth, hear truth,

        ____________ _________ _________ __

        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 14, 2009
          I have wondered about the significance of 1.3 and 22.7, the hearing
          and heeding blessings. Between 4.1 and 22.6, little if anything needs
          to be heeded, in the sense of obeying. Seemingly, chaps. 4-22 have an
          entirely different purpose than 1-3, and 22.7-21. The only "commmands"
          in the Apocalypse are found in the beginning and ending of the book.
          Am I on the right track?
        • Ian R. Brown
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 14, 2009
            I would recommend looking at G. K. Beale's extensive commentary. He deals
            with the matter briefly in his introduction, then in the introduction to the
            letters, and then periodically throughout the commentary. He offers several
            reasons for linking the letters to the visions.

            Ian R. Brown

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 14, 2009
              I would argue that what needs heeding in 4:1-22:6 is more implied than
              direct; for example, the implied command to avoid idolatry. Something more
              direct would be 13:10, 18; 14:12; 17:9.

              Ian R. Brown

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 14, 2009
                Do we take the term "heed," (tereo typically means to obey) to mean
                "pay attention to," or "to obey"? I am not certain of the presence
                implied commands in the 4-22 sections. If they are present, though,
                they are subsidiary to the overtly stated commands in the 1-3 and
                22.7f sections. The letters in 2-3, on the other hand, are filled with
                commands. Again, the question is how do chaps. 4-22 relate to chaps.
                2-3 in particular?