Continuity

    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 13, 2009
      It has always seemed that caps 1-3 and 4-22 are two separate worlds (Of course, in one sense they are).� I have been wondering lately if there is not a closer relation between the two halves of the writing.� Does anyone have some thoughts they would care to share on this?
      �george
      gfsomsel

      � search for truth, hear truth,

      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 13, 2009
        Dr. Somsel,

        I agree. Years ago when I wrote my Master's thesis, I formed the hypothesis
        that Rev 4-22 functioned as an argument for the exhortations in Rev 1-3.

        Later, I read Dr. Mark W. Wilson's thesis
        (http://www.revelation-resources.com/2008/01/06/wilson-the-victor-sayings/).
        His studies confirmed what I was at.

        In my own thesis I found that both theme and pragmatic function unifies
        Revelation. OT themes such as epiphany and the divine warrior motif are used
        in both parts of Revelation.

        Other scholars (e.g., Kempson, Mazzaferri, Giblin, Bauckham) have shown that
        there is a unifying overall structure. This structure is indicated by
        external linguistic markers, such as EN PNEUMATI and the numbering
        sequences.

        There is much, much more to say, but I would say that you are certainly
        right!

        Dr. Georg S. Adamsen

        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 14, 2009
          Of course, everyone is aware of such themes as epiphany and the divine warrior motif in the Apocalypse.� What interests me more is your hypothesis that�4-22 functioned as an argument for 1-3.� Have you developed that?
          �george
          gfsomsel

          � search for truth, hear truth,

          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 14, 2009
            Perhaps not "everyone" ... Anyway, yes I have developed that hypothesis. One
            might argue that there is a pragmatic unity, even if this is not easily
            recognisable by structural markers and contents. However, I argue that
            structure and content does indeed support the pragmatic unity, i.e. that
            Revelation 4-22 function as an argument for the exhortations in Revelation
            1-3. Parts of my thesis is "controversial", but one of its strengths is that
            I point to themes and structures recognised by others.

            Georg

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 14, 2009
              Are the results of your study available in written form (Perhaps your thesis which I seem to recall was submitted in English)?� I would be willing to purchase a copy.

              ____________ _________ _________ __

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 14, 2009
                My thesis is available from a number of European libraries. It may or may
                not be available from U.S. libraries as well. I do think that I still have
                one or two copies left, but, unfortunately, it is extremely expensive to
                send it to the U.S. I will take a look as to whether it is possible to make
                a PDF-version of it. PDF-technology has advanced since 2002, I guess.

                Georg

                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 14, 2009
                  Thank you, I would appreciate it very much.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 14, 2009
                    I have wondered about the significance of 1.3 and 22.7, the hearing
                    and heeding blessings. Between 4.1 and 22.6, little if anything needs
                    to be heeded, in the sense of obeying. Seemingly, chaps. 4-22 have an
                    entirely different purpose than 1-3, and 22.7-21. The only "commmands"
                    in the Apocalypse are found in the beginning and ending of the book.
                    Am I on the right track?
                  • Ian R. Brown
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 14, 2009
                      I would recommend looking at G. K. Beale's extensive commentary. He deals
                      with the matter briefly in his introduction, then in the introduction to the
                      letters, and then periodically throughout the commentary. He offers several
                      reasons for linking the letters to the visions.

                      Ian R. Brown

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 14, 2009
                        I would argue that what needs heeding in 4:1-22:6 is more implied than
                        direct; for example, the implied command to avoid idolatry. Something more
                        direct would be 13:10, 18; 14:12; 17:9.

                        Ian R. Brown

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 14, 2009
                          Do we take the term "heed," (tereo typically means to obey) to mean
                          "pay attention to," or "to obey"? I am not certain of the presence
                          implied commands in the 4-22 sections. If they are present, though,
                          they are subsidiary to the overtly stated commands in the 1-3 and
                          22.7f sections. The letters in 2-3, on the other hand, are filled with
                          commands. Again, the question is how do chaps. 4-22 relate to chaps.
                          2-3 in particular?