Gentry on the Temple in Rev 11

  • KennethGentry@cs.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 19, 2007

      You are correct in stating my view regarding the Temple in Rev 11. And you
      are also correct in pointing out that the Temple reference is doing "two things
      at the same time." The reasons I hold to this double image from the Temple are
      as follows (excuse brevity; I am very busy):

      1. John is prone to double-meaning images. For instance, most commentators
      (the majority, perhaps) see the Beast as representing an individual in some
      texts and as a generic image of the Empire as a whole in other contexts.
      Furthermore, in Rev 17:9-10 the seven heads of the beast mean two things, kings and
      mountains. The image of the Lamb is one of suffering and death, as well as
      victory and life. Many commentators (not me, though) view the 144,000 as also being
      the "great multitude no man can number." The bowls appear to restate
      (recapitulate) the trumpets. Etc., etc.

      2. Johannine literature more broadly appears to employ double meanings, as
      many commentators note (e.g., Leon Morris on The Gospel of John). For instance,
      in Jn 2 Jesus' comment about "destroy this Temple" alludes to the Herodian
      Temple but also signifies his own body (as many commentators note). In Jn 3
      Jesus' statement that man must be born anothen (Gk) means both: both "born again"
      and "born from above." Jesus' being "raised up" in Jn 12 refers to both his
      resurrection and his ascension. Etc., etc.

      3. John specifically sets up his reader for seeing a distinction within the
      Temple: He mentions two destinies, one for the inner (naos) Temple and the
      other for the outer courts (aule). He is hinting at a double-significance that
      leads on the one hand to preservation and on the other to destruction.

      4. The Temple itself contained a double significance: It is an earthly place
      of worship; but it also a mirror of the heavenly Temple above. The temporal
      and the eternal meet in the Temple.

      5. G. K. Beale and other prominent Revelation scholars frequently speak of
      double meanings in Revelation.

      You also write: " IF John wrote Rev 11 'before Jerusalem fell' and the "most
      natural interpretation" would indicate...." In response, I would note that the
      "most natural interpretation" is not always the way to go in Revelation,
      hence John's occasional need of an interpreting angel. Especially notice the seven
      heads as kings and mountains. In fact, the "most natural" image of a lamb is
      not of a mighty conqueror.

      Though you "seriously" doubt the utility of Rev 11 for the early date, this
      position has been and is still being held by many competent scholars, beginning
      with Lightfoot, Westcott, Hort, Torrey and others. I would not argue the
      ENTIRE case for the early date on this ONE datum. But when considered in
      conjunction with a host of tributary arguments, I am persuaded Revelation was written
      while Nero was alive.

      Unfortunately, I have some contract deadlines rushing toward me.
      Consequently, I probably will not be able to respond to any further comments. Though I
      hope to read them!

      Kenneth L. Gentry, Jr., Th.M., Th.D.
      Director, GoodBirth Ministries
      <A HREF="www.goodbirthministries.com">GoodBirth Ministries</A>

      Owner, KennethGentry.Com
      <A HREF="www.KennethGentry.Com">KennethGentry.Com</A>
      "Serious Studies for Serious Christians"

      Revelation Commentary Project
      If you would like to give toward funding my research on
      Revelation please go to <A HREF="www.KennethGentry.Com">KennethGentry.Com</A> then click
      on "Revelation Commentary Project."