810Re: [revelation-list] New moderator

  • Timothy P. Jenney
    Mar 24, 2006
      Hi, everyone!

      The timing of Dr. Adamsen's announcement caught me a bit by surprise, as I
      have been out of the office for several days. I am, of course, both willing
      and honored to serve as moderator for this list, of which I have been a
      member for more than ten years.

      I trust that I will continue to manage this list in the fine tradition
      established by Georg Adamsen, to whom we all owe a huge round of thanks.

      This has been a great couple of decades for those of us interested in
      Revelation, as we have seen the publication of a number of scholarly major
      works by Aune, Beale, Schussler-Fiorenza, Thompson and others. Though those
      "big" names rarely appear on postings to this list, I trust that our
      discussions have advanced the overall scholarly understanding of Revelation.

      We have made great strides in our understanding of the various backgrounds
      of Revelation: apocalyptic [here we should acknowledge Hanson and add him to
      the list of scholars already mentioned],the Dead Sea scrolls and
      intertestamental literature, etc.

      However, Revelation studies have stalled in the matter of its liturgical
      setting. I'd like to see more discussion on this aspect. I suspect solving
      it will require us to revisit two of the great controversies of the late
      20th century: 1) Israelite sacral kingship and its enthronement and 2)
      whether the "Day of the Lord" was the source of Israelite eschatology. I've
      offered my own suggestion [see below], others [long ago] have suggested
      others: Passover, all three Israelite pilgrimage feasts, etc.

      At any rate, this list offers those of us interested in Revelation a chance
      to get acquainted, float new ideas, argue about old ones, and generally keep
      each other on our toes. :-)

      Perhaps a bit of my own background is in order:
      I was raised to endless tales of how Revelation prophesied every modern
      crisis; my pastor had an 18', hand painted prophecy curtain, mounted at the
      front of the church, from which he taught every Wednesday night at Bible
      study [shudder].

      After those bad experiences, I avoided Revelation in my undergrad [BA in
      Bible, Central Bible College] and early grad work [MAs in History and
      Biblical Languages, at Missouri State U and the Assemblies of God
      Theological Seminary, respectively], only to rediscover it near the end
      [forced to, actually, but that is another story...].

      I had been working in intertestamental lit at University of Michigan in my
      doctoral program and asked [what seemed to me] a very simple question: "Why
      are the people in Rev. 7 waving palm branches?"

      The end result was my 1993 UM dissertation "The Harvest of the Earth: The
      Feast of Tabernacles in the Book of Revelation," wherein I argued that
      Tabernacles was the cultic setting for the book. That same thesis, expanded
      and refined, underlies the commentary I later published in 1999 as
      "Revelation" in the anthology Full Life Bible Commentary (Zondervan),
      reissued in 2003 under the new title Life in the Spirit New Testament
      Commentary.

      Anyhow, I have seen both sides of the Revelation issue and survived it.
      [Thankfully, I can also report that my experience does NOT include
      membership in the Michigan Militia, the Montana Freedman, or other
      fundamentalist paramilitary groups that ab/use Revelation as part of their
      raison d' etre!].

      I currently live in sunny Winter Haven, FL, where I am an adjunct NT prof at
      Asbury Theological Seminary-Orland and do some online teaching for Regent
      University.

      Blessings to you all,
      Tim Jenney