638Re: [revelation-list] rev. 11:1-2

    Jan 28, 2004
      On Tuesday, January 27, 2004, at 09:36 PM, Duane Carbo wrote:

      > DSW means "Daniel's Seventieth Week". "Measure the Temple" would
      > imply at
      > the very least that there is
      > a Temple standing during the tribulation (DSW) that is actual and not
      > just
      > symbolic.

      Why?

      Why should a command like this imply that the temple is literal? What
      would the command look like if it was 'symbolic', that is,
      metaphorical? When Jesus said 'A man went out to sow' does this imply
      there was a literal man? Were there, or will there be, four literal
      horses with four literal riders?

      I wonder if I could make a plea, on this list at least, for reflective
      engagement with the nature of metaphorical language...

      Ian Paul
      Revd Dr Ian Paul Associate Vicar, St Mary's Longfleet
      32 Penn Hill Avenue Poole Dorset BH14 9LZ
      01202 745963 Fax 01202 385539
      Also Managing Editor, Grove Books Ltd Ridley Hall Road Cambridge CB3
      9HU
      01223 464748 Fax 01223 464849
      http://www.grovebooks.co.uk
    • Show all 24 messages in this topic