630Re: [revelation-list] rev. 11:1-2

  • Timothy P. Jenney
    Jan 27, 2004
      The book of Ezekiel contains an extensive description of a future temple,
      complete with exact measurements of its dimensions (Ezek. 40:1ff). John¹s
      original audience probably expected something similar here. John even
      receives a measuring rod (11:1), but he never uses it. In fact, the only
      measurements in the book are those of the New Jerusalem (Rev. 21:16, 17).
      They fall near the end of this book and they are measured with a different
      rod (Rev. 21: 15 cf. 11:1).

      John¹s vision does not duplicate Ezekiel¹s, but compliments it. Ezekiel
      prophesied about buildings, John prophesies about the worshippers which will
      use them (11:1 cf. chs. 7, 21, 22).

      The angel directs John¹s focus to the outer court that will be given to the
      Gentiles for ³42 months² (see 1,260 days, 42 months or 3 1/2 years, 12:6).
      There he sees two menorah [seven-pronged lampstands] (Exod. 25:31-36 cf.
      Zech. 4:1-14). On most occasions, it would be highly unusual to find
      lampstands in the outer court. The descriptions of the tabernacle and temple
      all place a single menorah in the Holy Place (Ex. 26:35; Num. 8:2-4; 2 Chr.
      4:20; Heb. 9:2), not two outside the building and in the outer court. The
      only time menorah appeared in the outer court was during the Feast of
      Tabernacles. Revelation links these menorahs to the feast by their fire
      [here, the power to destroy] (v. 5), their ability to withhold rain and
      their power to send plagues upon the earth (v. 6 cf. also Rev. 15:1;
      16:1-21). These are all found in Zechariah fourteen (vv. 12-19), which
      describes an eschatological celebration of Tabernacles, and was one of the
      traditional readings for the Feast of Tabernacles in the first century AD.

      (See my commentary on Revelation Pp. 1535-1629 in Life in the Spirit New
      Testament Commentary. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, 2003) [Shameless
      self-promotion :-)]

      Timothy P. Jenney
      Winter Haven, FL

      > From: "ronsnider1" <ronpt@...>
      > Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 20:43:06 -0000
      > To: revelation-list@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: [revelation-list] rev. 11:1-2
      >
      > I am currently studying this book verse by verse from the original
      > languages... I view the temple as the one
      > that will be rebuilt for Daniel's 70th Week, the worshippers must be Jewish
      > priests, and the time of Gentile
      > domination will be the last half of DSW. Why the measurements, why omit the
      > court of the Gentiles, etc?
      >
      > Any insight will be appreciated.
      >
      > Ron Snider

      > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/