526Re: Morning star

  • Alan Fuller
    May 6 11:28 AM
      Dear Kym,

      Thanks for your insight. I have gone back and re-read your earlier
      post, and I think it makes a lot of sense. It is intresting to
      compare similarities between the epistles and Revelation.

      I actually prefer an early dating of Revelation, but I can live with
      either view.

      And thanks to the others for their comments also.

      Alan F.
      Texas

      --- In revelation-list@yahoogroups.com, "kymhsm" <ksmith@s...> wrote:
      > Dear Alan,
      >
      > In your response to Pere Porta Roca you mention 2 Pet 1:19 and
      > say
      >
      > <<<I'm sure you're already familiar with this, but I'll mention it
      > since you didn't. Second Peter 1:19 describes Christ as the
      > morning star which outshines the light of the earlier prophetic
      > witness.
      > I think Second Peter 1:19 is intresting when looking at the timing
      > of prophetic fulfillment. How long is "soon" in prophecy? How
      > immediate is "quickly?" How long is the time span until the day
      > dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts?
      > If we look at these things in an idealistic fashion, I don't think
      we
      > need to limit them to a first century experience. Maybe that's why
      > John the Revelator used this particular symbol.>>>
      >
      > I think, though not for the same reason, that you are right to see
      > this verse as important in understanding the 'soons' and
      > 'quicklies' of the Apocalypse. However, I would like to suggest
      > that 'John the Revelator' did not use this symbol because Peter
      > had included it. On the contrary, Peter used it because he was
      > familiar with its use in the Revelation.
      >
      > I received no responses to my post of April 1 (an unfortunate
      > date for it!) and so I did not do the second part. If I had, this
      > reference to the Morning Star would have been one of the
      > indicators that 2 Peter (with 1 Peter) was written in anticipation
      of
      > the immediate fulfilment of the things foretold in the Revelation.
      > The urgency has clearly heightened with the second epistle.
      >
      > Sincerely,
      >
      > Kym Smith
      > Adelaide
      > South Australia