525Re: Morning star

  • kymhsm
    May 5, 2003
      Dear Alan,

      In your response to Pere Porta Roca you mention 2 Pet 1:19 and
      say

      <<<I'm sure you're already familiar with this, but I'll mention it
      since you didn't. Second Peter 1:19 describes Christ as the
      morning star which outshines the light of the earlier prophetic
      witness.
      I think Second Peter 1:19 is intresting when looking at the timing
      of prophetic fulfillment. How long is "soon" in prophecy? How
      immediate is "quickly?" How long is the time span until the day
      dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts?
      If we look at these things in an idealistic fashion, I don't think we
      need to limit them to a first century experience. Maybe that's why
      John the Revelator used this particular symbol.>>>

      I think, though not for the same reason, that you are right to see
      this verse as important in understanding the 'soons' and
      'quicklies' of the Apocalypse. However, I would like to suggest
      that 'John the Revelator' did not use this symbol because Peter
      had included it. On the contrary, Peter used it because he was
      familiar with its use in the Revelation.

      I received no responses to my post of April 1 (an unfortunate
      date for it!) and so I did not do the second part. If I had, this
      reference to the Morning Star would have been one of the
      indicators that 2 Peter (with 1 Peter) was written in anticipation of
      the immediate fulfilment of the things foretold in the Revelation.
      The urgency has clearly heightened with the second epistle.

      Sincerely,

      Kym Smith
      Adelaide
      South Australia