446Fwd: Rev. date

  • goranson@duke.edu
    Feb 21, 2003
      Mark Loftus and list,

      Mark, you wrote recently that a or the fulfillment should come "soon"
      from the time of writing. But since the time of writing (or
      completion) is the question at hand, soon after unknown is
      questionable calculus. "Soon" to the addressees whenever addressed--so
      not determining date by itself. Using 70 AD destruction of the temple
      as a putative fulfillment is perhaps not particularly fulfilling,
      given the content of Rev as a whole, if it be any partial fulfillment
      at all. The author of Rev was perhaps less anti-Temple than your
      statement.

      You appear to reject or at least diminish the importance of outside
      factors for dating and say "the eschatological view ought to be based
      on scripture." Surely you do not suggest that all who date to circa
      95, including me, fail to base their readings on scripture? And,
      further, by affirming--as do I--that there were seven existing
      churches at the time of their being addressed, so then you accept some
      outside criteria for dating, one of the criteria which, in my
      evaluation, makes a c. 95 dating for the completion of writing more
      likely. And in any case the temple destruction of 70 AD is itself an
      outside factor, and one used by some proponents of both datings.

      Yet some of the message in Rev., surely, has no intended, as it were,
      expiration date, or, at any rate, not yet. You quote Rev
      22:12 "...behold, I come quickly...to every man according ...." The
      referenced eternal reward presumably not having expired, being
      eternal, is said to come (to each one...according...[severally? one of
      many times?]) quickly. At
      what date does or can eternity "start"? In other words, some of Rev
      appears to me rooted in particular time and place (or times and
      places) and some beyond time and place.

      best,
      Stephen Goranson
      goranson@...