365Re: [revelation-list] Re: The Apocalypse Of John And The Rapture Of The Church

  • Keith Starkey
    Jan 3, 2003
      Hello Alan,

      I think the allusion to Daniel 8 is not a stong one; the horn that comes out
      of the broken large horn tramples the hosts, but the dragon in Revelation
      doesn't trample on or throw people (hosts) out of heaven. He MAY have had
      1/3 of the angels head over to his side, but that wouldn't qualify as
      pertaining to this passage. Further, the Dragon may have trampled over some
      of the angels he fights, but this still wouldn't qualify the interpretation
      regarding the baby. The scene John sees is a SIGN in heaven. Babies are
      obviously not born in heaven; the reality (or literality) of the scene, if
      any, has to be on earth's side.

      Rev 12:6 doesn't say the woman came to earth at this point, it says she fled
      to the desert; she was already on the earth. (Surely she wouldn't flee from
      heaven to earth for safety!)

      Further, the baby (who will rule all the nations with an iron scepter) is
      caught up to God and His throne, as you noted. Caught up . . . from heaven
      to a throne? I think we'd be reading more into this than what seems
      reasonably clear: the woman surely is Israel; the baby surely the Christ;
      the dragon surely Satan; the offspring the disciples of Jesus (Rev 12:17
      "Then the dragon was enraged at the woman and went off to make war against
      the rest of her offspring--those who obey God's commandments and hold to the
      testimony of Jesus.")

      Thanks very much for you input, Alan,

      Keith R. Starkey