1250Re: [revelation-list] Rev 20:4 = 1 group or 2 groups?

  • Timothy Jenney
    Sep 2, 2013
      The question is more difficult than two groups. Whom do the "beheaded" represent? Just how literal are we to take this?

      Are they only those who died as Jesus' witnesses by the specific method of beheading? Or by metonymy do they represent every Christian martyr who was killed, whatever the method?

      If the latter, the pressing question is how far do we extend the group? To those persecuted for the cross who were injured, but not killed? To those who witnessed mightily and faced down opposition, but were not physically harmed? To all Christians, for whom the martyrs represent the ideal?

      These are tough questions for interpreters—and I don't believe the data to resolve them is in the book itself.

      Blessings,
      Tim

      Timothy P. Jenney, Ph.D
      Adj, Faculty, Regent University SOD
      Host, Lighting the Lamp, Accordance Bible Software