1187Re: [revelation-list] Re: Hermas and the Tribulation Beast

    Jan 16, 2011
      I hardly think that Hermas' beast is the least bit comparable to that of
      Revelation.  In Revelation a counter-Judaism is established and penalties are
      imposed for non-conformance.  In Hermas the beast does not oppose Hermas, but
      simply turns into a pussy-cat.
      And I went on a little farther, brothers, and behold, I saw a cloud of dust
      rising up, as it were, to heaven, and I began to say to myself, "Maybe some
      cattle are coming and arising a cloud of dust." And it was about two hundred
      yards, away from me. (6) As the cloud of dust grew larger and larger, I began to
      suspect that it was something supernatural. Then the sun shone a little more
      brightly, and behold, I saw a huge beast, like some sea monster, and from its
      mouth flaming locusts were pouring out. And the beast was about one hundred feet
      long, and it had a head like a ceramic jar. (7) And I began to cry and to beg
      the Lord to rescue me from it. And I remembered the word which I had heard: "Do
      not be double-minded, Hermas." (8) So, brothers, having put on the faith of the
      Lord and remembering the great things he had taught me, I took courage and faced
      the beast. And the beast was coming on with such a rush that it could have
      destroyed a city. (9) I came near it, and huge though it was, the sea monster
      stretched itself out on the ground and merely thrust out its tongue, and did not
      even twitch until I had passed by it. (10) And the beast had four colors on its
      head: black, then the color of fire and blood, then gold, and then white.
      Holmes, Michael William. The Apostolic Fathers : Greek Texts and English
      Translations. Updated ed. Grand Rapids, Mich.: Baker Books, 1999.

      The two are of a completely different character.  Passing on from his encounter
      with the beast, Hermas meets the woman who represents the Church who says to him
      "You deserved to escape it," she said, "because you cast your cares on God and
      opened your heart to the Lord, believing that you could not be saved by anything
      except the great and glorious Name. Therefore the Lord sent his angel who has
      authority over the beasts, whose name is Segri, and he shut its mouth so that it
      might not hurt you. You have escaped a great tribulation because of your faith,
      and because you were not double-minded, even though you saw such a huge beast.

      In Revelation it is precisely because of their faith and their opposition to the
      agenda of the demonic trinity that the Jews suffer martyrdom.