1185Re: [revelation-list] Hermas and the Tribulation Beast

    Jan 16, 2011
      Now you are indeed engaging in allegorical interpretation.  I find no
      justification for that.  Hermas has little or nothing to do with Revelation.
      The source of the Beast in Revelation lies in Daniel.  As is usually the case,
      our author does not simply adopt the OT or apocalyptic figures but transforms
      them to fit his own scheme.  The four beasts of Daniel 7 have been compressed
      into one Beast with 7 heads to fit with the mimicry of the divine by the unholy
      trinity.  Each head indicates a separate manifestation of a power that arrays
      itself against God.  One has been slain and yet lives.  This is a reference to
      the Roman Empire which had gone through a period of near collapse with 3
      emperors who ruled only most briefly.  It was, however, revived.  Many attempt
      to refer that to Nero, but though Nero may have sat for the portrait it does not
      represent Nero.  Neither does the Beast represent Rome.  It rather represents
      all of the realms which have arrogated themselves against God from the beginning
      of time.