1137Re: [revelation-list] Re: Origin of Chiliasm

    May 29, 2010
      Of course, ultimately the concept of chiliasm goes back to the "world week" in which the world is to last 7 days of 1000 years each.

      From: e_s_c_h_a_t_o_n <rocsy@...>
      To: revelation-list@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sat, May 29, 2010 12:38:37 PM
      Subject: [revelation-list] Re: Origin of Chiliasm

      And rightly so Jan!

      I will also mention that Jubilees chapter 23 and 1:26-29 may be associated with the temporary messianic reign. I think that might be given in an article I mentioned in an earlier post.

      J. W. Bailey, "The Temporary Messianic Reign in the Literature of Early Judaism," Journal of Biblical Literature, 53,.2 (1934): 170-187

      What is interesting to me is that Justin relates the life of Adam to a millennial reign, while Irenaeus thinks of it in terms of the life of Christ. That reminds me of Papias' assertion that the earliest expositors in Alexandria agreed that the creation week was an allegory of the life of Christ. That is the structure I see in Revelation, and the argument I put forward in my book.

      Alan Fuller
      http://www.lulu.com/arfuller