1136Re: Origin of Chiliasm

  • e_s_c_h_a_t_o_n
    May 29, 2010
      And rightly so Jan!

      I will also mention that Jubilees chapter 23 and 1:26-29 may be associated with the temporary messianic reign. I think that might be given in an article I mentioned in an earlier post.

      J. W. Bailey, "The Temporary Messianic Reign in the Literature of Early Judaism," Journal of Biblical Literature, 53,.2 (1934): 170-187

      What is interesting to me is that Justin relates the life of Adam to a millennial reign, while Irenaeus thinks of it in terms of the life of Christ. That reminds me of Papias' assertion that the earliest expositors in Alexandria agreed that the creation week was an allegory of the life of Christ. That is the structure I see in Revelation, and the argument I put forward in my book.

      Alan Fuller
      http://www.lulu.com/arfuller