1096Re: [revelation-list] Re: The Elder John and Revelation

    Apr 8, 2010
      But it is obvious that Irenaeus never met Papias and was not correctly representing what he said.  Papias never claimed to have been a "hearer of John."

      From: e_s_c_h_a_t_o_n <rocsy@...>
      To: revelation-list@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thu, April 8, 2010 3:16:14 PM
      Subject: [revelation-list] Re: The Elder John and Revelation

      Thank you. Here is the quote I have from Irenaeus.

      4. And these things are borne witness to in writing by Papias, the hearer of John, and a companion of Polycarp, in his fourth book; for there were five books compiled by him. (Heresies, Book V.Chapter XXXIII.)

      I note that he doesn't use "elder," but what that means depends on whether you agree with Dionysius or Papias. The quote Irenaeus gives from Papias is also found in Victorinus' original commentary on Revelation, but not the one Jerome worked over that is found in Schaff's Ante-Nicene Fathers. Check me on that though.