Revolution StandardLib 1.0b1 Posted

  • kennanray
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 26 11:00 PM
      Hello everyone! This message is to announce that I have posted a copy of
      a first pass at a "Standard Library" for Revolution to the Files area.
      This library, called "stdLib.rev" contains a variety of useful functions
      and commands that a small handful of us (the initial working group) felt
      were very useful for anyone programming in Revolution.

      The full list of functions/commands, along with a place for providing
      your feedback is at the following Wiki page on the Sons of Thunder web
      site:

      http://www.sonsothunder.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Main.RevolutionStdLib
      <http://www.sonsothunder.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Main.RevolutionStdLib>

      For those of you interested, please download the stdLib stack, check out
      the handlers, and then respond to the Wiki or to the RevInterop group
      with your comments (preferably the Wiki).

      After you review this library, I'm sure many of you see what you might
      consider "glaring omissions" or are wondering just why certain handlers
      were included. Please keep in mind that (a) this is a first public pass
      at the library, and (b) we don't want to load the library up with a lot
      of useful, although esoteric, handlers. Of course, that is up to this
      group to work through, so please provide whatever feedback you feel is
      appropriate.

      The end result of this is (hopefully) a common library of handlers that
      both experienced developers and newcomers can start to use in their
      development efforts; it may also help RunRev answer the question about
      why there isn't a standard library for Revolution like there is in other
      languages... :-)

      In any event, enjoy this first effort, and I'm looking forward to your
      feedback!

      Ken

    • trick question, right ?
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 27 4:06 PM
        OOOOH ... I like where this is going !!
      • Mark Wieder
        Message 3 of 3 , May 28, 2007
          Ken-

          > Hello everyone! This message is to announce that I have posted a copy of
          > a first pass at a "Standard Library" for Revolution to the Files area.
          > This library, called "stdLib.rev" contains a variety of useful functions
          > and commands that a small handful of us (the initial working group) felt
          > were very useful for anyone programming in Revolution.

          Note that BZ #1712 would provide the use of an #include mechanism, which
          would make the maintenance of a standard library much easier, both in
          terms of grouping like handlers and also in terms of being able to
          delegate maintenance tasks so one person doesn't have to ride herd on
          the whole thing. I could see the division of "the" standard library
          into, for example, a file library, a math library, etc. We can't do
          this at the moment because of 1) the 50-library stack limitation and
          2) the inability to have substacks of substacks.

          --
          -Mark Wieder
          mwieder@...