Re: REST API specification templates

  • rogervdkimmenade
    Message 1 of 91 , Sep 9 11:37 PM
      --- In rest-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "A. Pagaltzis" <pagaltzis@...> wrote:
      > This is a contradiction in terms. REST is defined by two
      > properties:
      >
      > 1. Server state is exposed as a set of resources that have a
      > uniform interface and are named by URIs.
      >
      > 2. The client doesn’t make any assumptions about the server URI
      > space; all it does is follow links.

      I am currently defining an interface using the REST style. What i do
      is discover the resources and the representations of those resources.
      I have a test specification, i would like to run that test and i want
      test reports.
      Resources: TestSpec, TestRun, TestReport, TestSpecs, TestRuns,
      TestReports.
      Example:
      POST http://<host/Test/TestSpecs <TestSpec>...</TestSpec>
      return 201 Location: http://<host>/Test/TestSpecs/TestSpec1.xml

      POST http://<host>/Test/TestRuns <TestRun
      @TestSpec="http://<host>/Test/TestSpecs/TestSpec1.xml/>
      return 201 Location: http://<host>/Test/TestRuns/TestRun1.xml

      GET http://<host>/Test/TestReports

      In my case the client does make assumptions of where to find the
      resources, but does this make the interface less RESTful?

      Regards
      Roger van de Kimmenade
    • Josh Sled
      Message 91 of 91 , Sep 10 6:39 AM
        "rogervdkimmenade" <rvdkimmenade@...> writes:
        > In my case the client does make assumptions of where to find the
        > resources, but does this make the interface less RESTful?

        Yes. Why not have one (or more) of those resources simply provide a link to
        the TestReport?

        --
        ...jsled
        http://asynchronous.org/ - a=jsled; b=asynchronous.org; echo ${a}@${b}