REST Workshop Slides Available

  • Peter Lacey
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 22, 2007
      Just dropping a note off here to say that the slides from the REST
      Workshop I delivered at Burton Group's (my employer) Catalyst conference
      this year are available for free download. They're behind a
      registration wall, unfortunately, but worth the effort to download. It
      could help you in educating your colleagues and managers about REST.

      More info on my blog:
      http://wanderingbarque.com/nonintersecting/2007/08/22/rest-workshop-slides-available/

      Good Luck,
      Pete
    • Teo Hui Ming
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 22, 2007
        Hi Peter, as mentioned in slide 8: "Clients-not servers-are
        responsible for managing application state". Do you mean: Clients (not
        servers) are responsible for managing application state

        --
        Teo Hui Ming
      • pete.lacey
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 23, 2007
          I had to read your question three times before I got what you were asking, but, yes, I do.

          Using dashes, the sentence could be read like this:

          Clients-not
          servers-are
          responsible for application state

          Parens are much more clear:

          Clients
          (not servers)
          are responsible for application state

          -Pete

          --- In rest-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "Teo Hui Ming" <teohuiming.work@...> wrote:

          > Hi Peter, as mentioned in slide 8: "Clients-not servers-are
          > responsible for managing application state". Do you mean: Clients (not
          > servers) are responsible for managing application state
          >
          > --
          > Teo Hui Ming

        • Costello, Roger L.
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 23, 2007
            Hi Folks,

            For those using WADL, there is a bug in the WADL XML Schema [1].

            This needs to be removed(it's not a legal namespace declaration - the
            xml namespace is implicit, it may never be declared):

            xmlns:xml="http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace"

            Once it's removed the schema works fine.

            /Roger

            [1]https://wadl.dev.java.net/wadl20061109.xsd (view page source to see
            the actual schema)
          • Paul Winkler
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 23, 2007
              Blame ASCII and keyboards for not including the em dash :)
              "Traditionally, typewriters had only a single hyphen glyph, so it is
              common to use two monospace hyphens strung together--like this--to
              serve as an em dash."
              -- from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Em_dash#Em_dash

              --

              Paul Winkler
              http://www.slinkp.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 23, 2007
                Paul Winkler wrote:
                > Blame ASCII and keyboards for not including the em dash :)

                Actually, I blame myself. PPT supports em dashes (type two hyphens and
                a character, and the hyphens are converted to em dashes [type one hyphen
                and a character for an en dash]), and I use them routinely, but not here
                for some reason. Oh well.

                --Pete
              • Marc Hadley
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 24, 2007
                  > For those using WADL, there is a bug in the WADL XML Schema [1].
                  >
                  > This needs to be removed(it's not a legal namespace declaration - the
                  > xml namespace is implicit, it may never be declared):
                  >
                  > xmlns:xml="http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace"
                  >
                  > Once it's removed the schema works fine.

                  Hmm, I thought you could declare it but you have to use the correct
                  namespace name. The namespace rec seems to confirm that, see [2]:

                  "The prefix xml is by definition bound to the namespace name http://
                  www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace. It may, but need not, be declared, and
                  must not be bound to any other namespace name. Other prefixes must
                  not be bound to this namespace name, and it must not be declared as
                  the default namespace."

                  Marc.

                  > [1]https://wadl.dev.java.net/wadl20061109.xsd (view page source to see
                  > the actual schema)
                  [2] http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml-names/#xmlReserved

                  ---
                  Marc Hadley <marc.hadley at sun.com>
                  CTO Office, Sun Microsystems.
                • Costello, Roger L.
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 24, 2007
                    Hi Marc,

                    At least some of the XML Schema validators don't like it when you declare the XML namespace - an error is generated.  There may be some validators that don't complain.  Both validators that I used generated an error - xerces and xsv.

                    /Roger

                    > For those using WADL, there is a bug in the WADL XML Schema [1].
                    >
                    > This needs to be removed(it's not a legal namespace declaration - the
                    > xml namespace is implicit, it may never be declared):
                    >
                    > xmlns:xml="http://www.w3. org/XML/1998/ namespace"
                    >
                    > Once it's removed the schema works fine.

                    Hmm, I thought you could declare it but you have to use the correct
                    namespace name. The namespace rec seems to confirm that, see [2]:

                    "The prefix xml is by definition bound to the namespace name http://
                    www.w3.org/XML/ 1998/namespace. It may, but need not, be declared, and
                    must not be bound to any other namespace name. Other prefixes must
                    not be bound to this namespace name, and it must not be declared as
                    the default namespace."

                    Marc.

                    > [1]https://wadl. dev.java. net/wadl20061109 .xsd (view page source to see
                    > the actual schema)
                    [2] http://www.w3. org/TR/REC- xml-names/ #xmlReserved

                    ---
                    Marc Hadley <marc.hadley at sun.com>
                    CTO Office, Sun Microsystems.

                  • Jon Hanna
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 24, 2007
                      Marc Hadley wrote:
                      >> For those using WADL, there is a bug in the WADL XML Schema [1].
                      >>
                      >> This needs to be removed(it's not a legal namespace declaration - the
                      >> xml namespace is implicit, it may never be declared):
                      >>
                      >> xmlns:xml="http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace"
                      >>
                      >> Once it's removed the schema works fine.
                      >>
                      > Hmm, I thought you could declare it but you have to use the correct
                      > namespace name. The namespace rec seems to confirm that, see [2]:

                      Yep. If something is choking on
                      xmlns:xml="http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace" the bug is with the
                      processor, not the schema.
                    • A. Pagaltzis
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 24, 2007
                        * Jon Hanna <jon@...> [2007-08-24 16:35]:
                        > If something is choking on
                        > xmlns:xml="http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace" the bug is
                        > with the processor, not the schema.

                        But it’s still redundant to declare it, so removing it seems like
                        a cheap way to improve users’ lives.

                        Next on the agenda would be filing a bug against the processors
                        that complain, of course.