Re: [rest-discuss] REST on the Desktop Anyone?

  • Steve Loughran
    Message 1 of 59 , Jun 3, 2007
      On 6/1/07, Chris Burdess <dog@...> wrote:

      > A primary issue here is one of loose vs. strong coupling. In a
      > desktop scenario it is feasible and acceptable to have strong
      > coupling, because you have a much narrower domain of artifacts and
      > more control over how those artifacts can behave. In a network
      > environment you have heterogeneous systems with different
      > architectures and approaches, so loose coupling is much more likely
      > to succeed.

      That's the first assumption to question. Yes, you still only have one
      sysadmin, but you do have very weak ability to do synchronous update
      of all app versions on a single box. Hence DLL hell, RPM hell, JAR
      hell, and whatever the equivalent for OSGi we are yet to see.

      NetKernel and Cocoon both use loosely coupled XML pipelines inside a
      single process, because shovelling XML between bits of code is both
      simple to do and gives better isolation between parts. Similarly,
      Ant's XML language is much less brittle than the Java APIs.

      and then there is the best example of all, the Unix pipe, where space,
      comma or tab separate lines provide a wire format that is app neutral.

      Premise 1: Loose coupling between libraries on a single process or
      machine can provide benefits.

      > People have used distributed technologies to build desktop
      > applications in the past. For example, there's the CORBA
      > infrastructure in GNOME, the now defunct Berlin project, and the
      > various bus- and queue-based inter-application messaging frameworks
      > in BSD, Solaris, etc. Those technologies, however, are still used in
      > a very fine-grained, strongly coupled manner.

      Corba actually came out of Distributed NewWave and Sun's equivalent:
      it was desktops that drove them, or at least the impressive demos.

      > I do agree with you that there are lessons to be learned from the
      > interoperability measures and standardisation that has developed in
      > the web space. If all filesystems were able to store MIME content-
      > type and other metadata, it would simplify building cross-platform
      > applications. I'm less sure about your concept of bookmarks for
      > entire application state identified by "LRLs" or the general
      > applicability of REST principles to desktop applications.

      One interesting thought is what role Atom could have on the desktop.
      There are always various pub/sub mechanisms (windows has COM+ and
      SENS, linux is adopting DBus). What if lots of things were feed
      sources, other things transforms and finally ways of presenting stuff
      to the user. . you could have some fun there, which is good, because
      operating systems have got, well, dull.

      -steve
    • Mike Schinkel
      Message 59 of 59 , Jun 3, 2007
        Joe Gregorio wrote:
        > > As a side note, I'd really like to see the REST
        > architecture style of
        > > contrained interface and URLs for everything be adopted by some
        > > frameworks used for the *DESKTOP* development.
        >
        > You are in good company:
        >
        > http://tirania.org/blog/archive/2005/Nov-26-2.html

        Very nice, thanks! Guess it's not a crazy idea after all... ;-)

        -Mike