Re: [rest-discuss] Re: Idea: Simple Web Service Behaviour Language

  • Mark Baker
    Message 1 of 41 , Mar 6, 2002
      > > I also can't see trying to convince a set of companies that plan to make
      > > money off a centralized model, that a decentralized model is the best
      > > way to go. So I'm not really into evangelizing REST to them either.
      >
      > I don't really have the time to become an ebxml reg/rep expert but I do
      > feel that the ebXML world is a natural ally for the REST world because
      > they seem to be document-centric rather than API and software-centric.

      Well, there's definitely conflicting goals there. It would not have
      been hard for them to decentralize without using REST, but they chose
      not to. So I think that there's forces at work there.

      And I'm not saying there's no value to evangelizing it to them. It's
      just that there's only so many hours in a day.

      MB
      Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA. mbaker@...
      http://www.markbaker.ca http://www.planetfred.com
    • bhaugen32
      Message 41 of 41 , Mar 10, 2002
        Mark Baker wrote:
        > If the seller wants to give the buyer that option, I suppose it
        > could return a 201 (Created) response with the URI of the offer
        > in the Location header of the response. Then the buyer would
        > just DELETE it to cancel the order.
        >
        > If richer cancellation semantics are required, a separate "cancel"
        > document should be used, since I would expect that somebody would
        > want to track that as a separate document. i.e the buyer POSTs a
        > "cancel order" document which includes a link to the offer resource
        > URI returned on the aforementioned 201 response.
        >
        > > Just to indicate more where I am going with this line of inquiry,
        the
        > > next problem I want to think about is the "counteroffer pending"
        > > response, where the Seller will next make a counteroffer to the
        > > Buyer.
        >
        > Does the offer of a counteroffer infer a rejection of the original
        > offer? I would expect so.

        Yes. You understand contract negotiation rules.

        > So in that case, the response to the
        > offer document being POSTed could be a rejection document which
        > included a URI to a counteroffer. Or it could be included inline
        > as part of the rejection.
        >
        > > Where I am trying to go is into the resource model for this
        stuff:
        > > what becomes a Web resource, where?
        >
        > Everything with identity is a resource. That doesn't mean that a
        > representation has to be retrieved with a GET though; it's fine for
        it
        > to be sent as a request or response, with the Content-Location
        header
        > included so that the recipient can do a GET later if required.
        >
        > In this case, the initial offer from buyer to seller would be POSTed
        > with a Content-Location header, and the seller *could* invoke GET if
        > they lost their copy 8-) (other cases might have a better use of
        GET).

        Ok, I am happy with this discussion at this stage. Thank you very
        much.

        I am now in the midst of working through this same example with a lot
        more detail in a couple of ebXML-related work groups. When they get
        done, I'll come back here and see if I can take the various clues and
        propose a RESTful offer-acceptance model that will also satisfy the
        ebXML groups.

        Then I will invite them to comment.

        In the meantime, I'm still reading most of the list traffic and may
        chip in from the peanut gallery now and then.

        -Bob Haugen