RE: [rest-discuss] Re: Don Box predicts death of HTTP, film at 11

  • Peter Drayton
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 28, 2002
      However, the interesting thing is that the keynote gave me the distinct
      impression that Don favored messaging over RPC. He spent quite a bit of
      time talking about how it wasn't at all clear that "stretching RPC out
      to internet scale" would work, and how a potentially much better
      approach would be to shrink messaging down to work "in the small".
      According to him, the issue there is the programming model, which is
      what he said he's working on at Microsoft.

      When I wrote up [1] the various themes that Don touched on, I
      deliberatedly avoided saying which side of the issues Don came down on,
      since the writeup would have been waaay longer. My point was that the
      keynote covered more ground thatn merely "HTTP is dead", and the other
      themes were also interesting questions in their own right.

      --Peter

      [1] http://www.razorsoft.net/weblog

    • Paul Prescod
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 1, 2002
        Peter Drayton wrote:

        > However, the interesting thing is that the keynote gave me the distinct
        > impression that Don favored messaging over RPC. He spent quite a bit of
        > time talking about how it wasn't at all clear that "stretching RPC out
        > to internet scale" would work, and how a potentially much better
        > approach would be to shrink messaging down to work "in the small".

        That sounds to me like: "We tried to force one non-Internet model onto
        the Internet and it didn't work. Now we're about to try to force another
        non-Internet model onto the Internet. Maybe that will work. Oh, and by
        the way, that protocol that is the basis for most of the Internet's most
        sophisticated applications? Let's kill that."

        > According to him, the issue there is the programming model, which is
        > what he said he's working on at Microsoft.

        People have spent the last five years adopting to the Web's programming
        model, inconvenient as it is.

        Paul Prescod