Re: [rest-discuss] Restlet presentation slides

  • Stefan Tilkov
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 26, 2007
      On Mar 25, 2007, at 10:51 PM, Alan Dean wrote:

      > I personally think in these terms:
      >
      > "When creating a whole resource, use PUT onto the target URL (ie the
      > user-agent chooses the URL) and when creating a subordinate resource
      > (aka append) use POST onto the intermediate URL (ie the server chooses
      > the target URL)."

      That's just one, but not the only distinction, but as you write this
      is your personal view ... fine with me.

      > Unfortunately, the Atom PP does not observe this pattern (at least, it
      > doesn't as far as I can see) and I fear that this will lead to a
      > division between 'RESTful' and 'REST-like' implementations that can
      > only confuse the jobbing developer (just look at RSS1.0 (RDF) -vs-
      > RSS2.0.

      This seems to create a problem where there really is none. APP
      doesn't follow *your personal view*, but that doesn't mean it's
      unRESTful. Creating new resources via POST is perfectly fine,
      creating them via PUT is fine perfectly OK as well.

      PUT and POST are defined in RFC 2616. Having just re-read this again,
      I believe it strongly support Elliotte's POV.

      Stefan
      --
      Stefan Tilkov, http://www.innoq.com/blog/st/