[OT] HTTP etag vs if-* vs range vs content-encoding?

  • PA
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2007
      Hello,

      This is not strictly speaking related to REST per se, but... perhaps
      someone could point me to the right direction nonetheless...

      To make a long story short, I'm a bit confused on how the different
      HTTP entity transformations work together... or not. In other words,
      from an HTTP server perspective, how does one properly combine things
      like entity tags, conditional requests, ranges and content encoding to
      name a few?

      Even after going through Jeffrey C. Mogul's "Clarifying the
      Fundamentals of HTTP" and such, I'm not the wiser :P

      http://www2002.org/CDROM/refereed/444.pdf

      Any pointers, guidelines, opinions or advises very welcome :)

      Thanks in advance.

      Cheers,

      PA.
    • Julian Reschke
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 1, 2007
        PA schrieb:

        > Hello,
        >
        > This is not strictly speaking related to REST per se, but... perhaps
        > someone could point me to the right direction nonetheless. ..
        >
        > To make a long story short, I'm a bit confused on how the different
        > HTTP entity transformations work together... or not. In other words,
        > >from an HTTP server perspective, how does one properly combine things
        > like entity tags, conditional requests, ranges and content encoding to
        > name a few?
        >
        > Even after going through Jeffrey C. Mogul's "Clarifying the
        > Fundamentals of HTTP" and such, I'm not the wiser :P
        >
        > http://www2002. org/CDROM/ refereed/ 444.pdf
        > <http://www2002.org/CDROM/refereed/444.pdf>
        >
        > Any pointers, guidelines, opinions or advises very welcome :)

        Here's your pointer: (:-) come over to the (former) HTTP WG'smailing
        list: <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/ietf-http-wg/>.

        Best regards, Julian