Re: [rest-discuss] Atom, 'process-this'-POST and rockets

  • Bill de hOra
    Message 1 of 70 , Dec 2, 2006
      Walden Mathews wrote:

      > Of course not, the rabbit is the entity.
      >
      > But I can see this is going nowhere. Did you have a point to make
      > about POST being degenerate (whatever you mean by that)? Is
      > this something we need to care about?

      I think it is. HTTP without POST is an interesting gedanken experiment.
      It's like having English without "just do it".

      POST is uniformly devoid of meaning; anything will fit into it, which is
      why it's degenerate (aka grunting) compared to the other methods. Which
      is why approaches from html forms to WS to MEST like using it, they can
      defer protocol decision making, or make point to point decisions that
      don't have to be globally consistent.

      In a two verb web with that kind of thinking, all GET provides over POST
      is a switch for caches and form handlers.

      cheers
      Bill
    • Joe Gregorio
      Message 70 of 70 , Jan 17, 2007
        On 1/9/07, Nic James Ferrier <nferrier@...> wrote:

        > I think Elliotte is correct that we could fix the problem by getting
        > the proxy makers to change their proxies.
        >
        > However, how long would it take to fix the problem. The big
        > organization that I was referring to had (amongst others) a Novell
        > Netware proxy server. It was at least 10 years old.
        >
        > I recently made a trip to a medium sized company who were still using
        > Microsoft Proxy Server 1.0. I don't even want to think about how old
        > that is.

        As long as we are being brutally honest about how things work
        in *the real world*, I'll just point out that if some VP
        discovered that he couldn't edit his blog from his shiny new Nokia phone
        because the proxy server blocked PUT requests, then that proxy would
        get changed so fast it would make your eyes bleed.

        To put this in perspective we're talking about a configuration
        option on an HTTP proxy/firewall in a company that 11 years
        ago was probably running SNA over token ring. To pretend that
        things will stay the same as they are today is, at best, delusional.

        -joe

        --
        Joe Gregorio http://bitworking.org