[rest-discuss] implementation best practises

  • Stelios Eliakis
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 9, 2006
      Hi,
      I'm new to Web Services and I would like to implement a rest web service.
      Do you suggest me to start for exaple with JAX-WS or with a language such as jsp - php.
      I found this: http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/WebServices/restful/ which use JAX-WS bu it seems to me a little bit complicated.
      I thought that I could write just a php/jsp page which takes for example 2 parameters.
      The client could construct a url with the values of these two parameters and the service would return the result as an XML document.
      In fact I would like to implement 2 web services.
      1)Return the price of a product (unauthorized)
      2)Set the price of a product (authorized)

      I think that JAX-WS is more familiar to SOAP. Am I wrong?

      Does anyone have a REST example or a suggestion  about the way I could implement these web services?

      Thanks in advance

      --
      Stelios Eliakis
    • Nic James Ferrier
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 9, 2006
        "Stelios Eliakis" <eliakis@...> writes:

        > Hi,
        > I'm new to Web Services and I would like to implement a rest web service.
        > Do you suggest me to start for exaple with JAX-WS or with a language such as
        > jsp - php.
        > I found this:
        > http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/WebServices/restful/ which
        > use JAX-WS bu it seems to me a little bit complicated.
        > I thought that I could write just a php/jsp page which takes for example 2
        > parameters.

        Yes. The Sun example you give is excellent Java: big, overcomplicated
        and massively longwinded.

        A simpler way to do it would be to just have a PHP or a JSP page.

        These can be quite limiting though, but for simple services like the
        one you're talking about they're fine.

        You might want to look through the list archives because there are
        several people building RESTful frameworks and mostly they mention
        them here.

        --
        Nic Ferrier
        http://www.tapsellferrier.co.uk for all your tapsell ferrier needs