Re: [rest-discuss] Seeking feedback on the Blinksale API

  • Nic James Ferrier
    Message 1 of 57 , Oct 1, 2006
      Stefan Tilkov <stefan.tilkov@...> writes:

      > On Sep 30, 2006, at 9:00 AM, Benjamin Carlyle wrote:
      >
      >> Well, you aren't really being RESTful unless your content type is
      >> standard.
      >
      > Mark made this argument to me as well (http://www.infoq.com/articles/
      > mark-baker-REST), and it still leaves me puzzled. If this is really
      > accepted common wisdom, almost all examples of RESTful apps I'm aware
      > of, and most articles (including e.g. the excellent one at http://
      > www.xml.com/pub/a/2004/12/01/restful-web.html from Joe Gregorio) do
      > not, in fact, describe RESTful applications.

      It's nonsense I'm affraid. Lots of REST applications are built with
      simple XML; many examples are with simple XML; lots of other apps are
      with twisted or simplified forms of other standards, eg: over
      simplified HTML or RSS.

      Most browsers display XML of course, so it's still possible to
      interact with simple XML based services with a browser.

      > Or should we view REST as an ideal and a RESTful app as one that
      > tries to come as close to it as possible?

      I don't think is true at all.

      But it's also well understood that reuse is better than reinvention so
      it's a good idea to use existing formats.

      --
      Nic Ferrier
      http://www.tapsellferrier.co.uk for all your tapsell ferrier needs
      Message 57 of 57 , Oct 10, 2006

        Scott> I've heard that you can't "log out" of a HTTP auth session,
        Scott> but I think javascript could accomplish that for you.

        No JavaScript needed: http://www.pobox.com/~berend/rest/authentication.html

        Berend. (-: