Re: [rest-discuss] 418 Invalid [was HTTP Status code question]

  • Roy T. Fielding
    Message 1 of 36 , May 3, 2006
      On Mar 24, 2006, at 5:05 PM, Bill de hÓra wrote:
      > Roy T. Fielding wrote:
      >> On Mar 24, 2006, at 7:55 AM, Bill de hÓra wrote:
      >>
      >>> 418 Invalid
      >>>
      >>> The request could not be completed due to a validation failing
      >>> against
      >>> the sent entity. This code is only allowed in situations where it is
      >>> expected that the user might be able to resubmit the request with
      >>> valid
      >>> content and where the sent content was syntactically correct
      >>> according
      >>> to its media type. The response body SHOULD include enough
      >>> information
      >>> for the user to recognize the source of the conflict.
      >>> Invalidations are
      >>> most likely to occur in response to a PUT or POST request.
      >>
      >> Yep, that's what I would do, though a properly specified response
      >> code
      >> would never include that second sentence "This code is only
      >> allowed ..."
      >> since servers are always right (and never omnipotent). And the last
      >> sentence is kind of goofy -- request payload is unlikely to be
      >> invalid when it isn't present.
      >>
      >> Do you want me to standardize it?
      >
      > Yes please.

      Actually, Julian just pointed out to me that WebDAV already
      defined a 422 (Unprocessable Entity) status code which is
      probably sufficient

      http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc2518.html#STATUS_422

      so I guess I don't need to write that I-D after all.
      Unless there is some reason that you can't use 422?

      ....Roy
    • Julian Reschke
      Message 36 of 36 , May 4, 2006
        Mark Baker wrote:
        > Ideally there'd be an HTTP response code registry. Since there isn't
        > one (AFAIK), just Google for it.
        >
        > http://www.google.com/search?q=http+422+response

        From those HTTP related RFCs I've got XML versions for, I'm producing a
        compound index. So at least a subset of the codes can be found at

        <http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/common-index.html#rfc.index.S>

        Best regards, Julian