Re: [rest-discuss] REST and sessions

  • Lyle Kopnicky
    Message 1 of 37 , Dec 16, 2005
      Jan Algermissen wrote:

      >Hi Lyle,
      >
      >I think the best way to start digging yourself through this (and
      >related issues) is a bit of initial reading to get you started.
      >
      >Start here:
      >
      >http://rest.blueoxen.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?StateFaq
      >http://www.ics.uci.edu/~fielding/pubs/dissertation/
      >rest_arch_style.htm#sec_5_1_3
      >(And work yourself through the dissertation from there ...it's a must-
      >read)
      >
      >And for a discussion in a general distributed systems context see here:
      >
      >http://www.jalgermissen.com/blog/state_is_hell.html
      >
      >Hope that provides an initial help.

      Thanks for the pointers, but none of those links provide concrete
      examples. I would like to see a design example for an e-commerce site
      or banking app. How would the URLs be encoded? How would a shopping
      cart be implemented? A login page? What are the HTTP requests
      involved, if you want to do it the REST way?

      Fielding uses the term "session state," which is fuzzy. He says "each
      request from client to server must contain all of the information
      necessary to understand the request, and cannot take advantage of any
      stored context on the server." But what does "understanding the
      request" mean? What is "stored context"?

      Couldn't any data on the server be considered "stored context"? If we
      shouldn't have any state on the server, it doesn't even have, say, a
      list of books available for purchase. Because that's state. It should
      just have a purely functional algorithm, like a mathematical formula. I
      don't think that's what Fielding meant, but he doesn't show where to
      draw the line.

      --
      Lyle Kopnicky
      Software Project Engineer
      Message 37 of 37 , Dec 20, 2005
        On Dec 20, 2005, at 6:42 PM, Christian Jensen wrote:

        > I still have yet to play with this: XMLHTTPRequest takes a username
        > and
        > password - I am pretty sure it sets the browser headers from that
        > point
        > on...

        Yes, it does.

        Jan

        > give it a whirl. This would allow full UI control.

        Jan Algermissen, Consultant & Programmer
        http://jalgermissen.com
        Tugboat Consulting, 'Applying Web technology to enterprise IT'
        http://www.tugboat.de