Re: [rest-discuss] Re: Summarization on notifications?

  • S. Mike Dierken
    Message 1 of 56 , Feb 1, 2002
      From: "Paul Prescod" <paul@...>

      > But at a deep level I hate the idea of inscrutable bytes arriving from
      > some remote source without telling me WHY they are arriving or HOW I
      > would stop them. That's why I wanted headers that would make the message
      > self describing. You would just click (literally or metaphorically) on
      > the "unsubscribe URI" and the messages would stop arriving....

      I feel the same - but it is also possible that response codes to the notify
      might be useful (404 not found).
      But with some UI agent storing the notifications, it might be better to
      'stop the noise now' via the URI in a header.
      I like both approaches.
    • Mark Nottingham
      Message 56 of 56 , Feb 4, 2002
        It could be; however, for some applications, that's too limiting.
        More to the point, it's difficult to arrange your resources so that
        these relationships are meaningful in multiple contexts; e.g., P3P
        and access control (insert your own, more notification-specific,
        examples here).

        I discussed this a bit in Urispace [1]. I'd approach the problem
        differently now.

        Cheers,

        [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/urispace.html

        --