Re: REST descriptive services (was Re: [rest-discuss] REST description using WSDL)

  • Joe Gregorio
    Message 1 of 40 , Nov 3, 2005
      On 11/3/05, Dr. Ernie Prabhakar <drernie@...> wrote:
      > For example, say that Amazon had a truly RESTful API. I wanted to
      > build an automatically-generated GUI client that would be able to
      > query, browse, and display anything accessible from their datastore.

      I don't intend to be disrespectful, but you already have that, you
      point your browser at http://amazon.com

      -joe

      --
      Joe Gregorio http://bitworking.org
    • Mike Dierken
      Message 40 of 40 , Nov 9, 2005
        > > Ugh.
        > > I'll make sure stuff in my area doesn't do it this way.
        > > Next time I talk with a person from the cart group, I'll
        > bug them about it.
        >
        > What's your area, and how will you create and modify
        > resources (in contrast to CartModify)?
        I am responsible for the primary storage of offers, prices and inventory for
        all listings on the Amazon platform, worldwide.
        Well, almost... I'm not responsible for inventory that comes from Amazon
        fulfillment centers. And a large portion of Amazon offer information
        originates from fairly rich systems that send data to my services after
        running 'their' business rules (which products to offer, at what price,
        etc).
        My system is mainly merchant-facing and not web-facing - data is published
        out of my system into other 'caching layers'.
        There are many teams that provide many services, so this isn't a complete
        story by any means.
        But I'm hiring...

        The data is submitted by external sellers and merchants through bulk feeds
        and through browser-based tools. The "Sell Yours Here" button is an example
        of a browser based tool. (My team doesn't do the UI, but does own the
        business logic and accept/store/publish the listings). There are two
        'platforms' - Marketplace and Merchants. The Marketplace platform is open
        for registration here:
        http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/subst/misc/sell-your-stuff.html and paying
        for a 'Pro Merchant' account gives access to bulk uploads. There are also
        third-party tools and services that do this integration for you. The
        Merchants platform is invite-only (at this time) and supports more complex
        feeds that allow for creating new products in the Amazon master catalog in
        bulk (these result in new details pages - ASINs) beyond just listing what is
        already there.

        > And why do you think they did it that way? (Assuming it was
        > a reasoned design decision...)
        I don't know. I'd rather not guess out loud until I talk with them.