An example of a more RESTful version of the Delicious API

  • Paul James
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 31, 2005
      Hi all,

      I've recently written an article entitled "A RESTful Web service, an
      example", it overviews a more RESTful version of the del.icio.us API
      (http://del.icio.us/doc/api) as an example of how to build and structure
      a RESTful Web service.

      http://www.peej.co.uk/articles/restfully-delicious

      I'd be grateful of any feedback and/or discussion on, I'm not an expert,
      so if anyone can back me up or let me know where I've missed the target
      that'd be cool.

      Thanks, Paul.
    • Paul Jimenez
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 31, 2005
        Why not support PUT http://del.icio.us/api/%5busername]/bookmarks/ with
        mimetype delicious/bookmarks+xml? It would replace your entire list of
        bookmarks with the supplied list. Also, supporting DELETE on that URI
        should allow you to delete the entire list en-masse.

        Also, why bother to wrap count and update time in their own
        micro-schemas? Why not just return the raw answer?
        On approximately the same subject, IWBN also if there was a way to
        request a different return format than XML; RFC822 responses or HTML, perhaps.
        Or why not hide the api alongside the current codebase by adding a request
        header that would specify the return type as xml instead of the default
        html?

        My coupla pennies based on my experience reconciling REST with a
        'normal' web interface.

        --pj

        On Monday, Oct 31, 2005, Paul James writes:
        >Hi all,
        >
        >I've recently written an article entitled "A RESTful Web service, an
        >example", it overviews a more RESTful version of the del.icio.us API
        >(http://del.icio.us/doc/api) as an example of how to build and structure
        >a RESTful Web service.
        >
        >http://www.peej.co.uk/articles/restfully-delicious
        >
        >I'd be grateful of any feedback and/or discussion on, I'm not an expert,
        >so if anyone can back me up or let me know where I've missed the target
        >that'd be cool.
        >
        >Thanks, Paul.
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Yannick Loiseau
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 31, 2005
          Hi,

          For rest and bookmarks management, you can have a look at Rebel
          http://www.xefer.com/rebel/api
          which is a Rest interface using the Xbel vocabulary.

          Paul James wrote:
          > Hi all,
          >
          > I've recently written an article entitled "A RESTful Web service, an
          > example", it overviews a more RESTful version of the del.icio.us API
          > (http://del.icio.us/doc/api) as an example of how to build and structure
          > a RESTful Web service.
          >
          > http://www.peej.co.uk/articles/restfully-delicious
          >
          > I'd be grateful of any feedback and/or discussion on, I'm not an expert,
          > so if anyone can back me up or let me know where I've missed the target
          > that'd be cool.
          >
          > Thanks, Paul.
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Paul James
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 31, 2005
            Hi PJ,

            Thanks for you comments.

            Paul Jimenez wrote:

            > Why not support PUT http://del.icio.us/api/%5busername]/bookmarks/ with
            > mimetype delicious/bookmarks+xml? It would replace your entire list
            > of bookmarks with the supplied list. Also, supporting DELETE on that
            > URI should allow you to delete the entire list en-masse.

            If this were a real implementation and not an example to demonstrate the
            principles of REST then I'd implement GET, PUT and DELETE on all
            resources that made sense. Maybe I should include more on this somewhere.

            > Also, why bother to wrap count and update time in their own
            > micro-schemas? Why not just return the raw answer?

            Yeh, I thought about this. I wanted to keep the content formats simple
            and consistent, so I stuck with XML throughout the whole example. Maybe
            it'd show off the flexibility of REST and data formats, to have these
            two resources return plain text.

            > On approximately
            > the same subject, IWBN also if there was a way to request a different
            > return format than XML; RFC822 responses or HTML, perhaps. Or why not
            > hide the api alongside the current codebase by adding a request
            > header that would specify the return type as xml instead of the
            > default html?

            This would be the next step since as Mark baker said "The Web is what
            Web services are trying to be", there should be no difference between
            the resources for the browser or for a machine. However this is beyond
            the scope of my article.

            > My coupla pennies based on my experience reconciling REST with a
            > 'normal' web interface.
            >
            > --pj

            Thanks, Paul.