Re: [rest-discuss] REST requires HTTP or other transports

  • Lucas Gonze
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 10, 2005
      Jeoff Wilks wrote:

      >Lucas,
      >
      >Interesting paper, and one I had not seen before (as a relative newcomer to
      >rest-discuss).
      >
      >One possible addition to your work: since many clients sit behind firewalls,
      >it seems that HTTP proxying would need to be extended for notification
      >purposes as well. For example, a firewalled sink is unable to receive
      >notifications directly. As an alternative, it could maintain a connection
      >with a proxy server, and receive its notifications via that server.

      Agreed.

      Let's say there is a proxy sitting on the corporate firewall, and the
      proxy is able to initiate traffic within the firewall. Using my
      handshake, the client would send a callback URI which was hosted by the
      proxy server, then arrange for a pickup from the proxy using the
      standard method.

      Such a proxy would indeed be a lot like http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-proxy.

      - :Lucas