Re: SMTP with URIs (was: Re: [rest-discuss] REST Issues)

    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 10, 2005
      On Jun 7, 2005, at 9:47 AM, Vincent D Murphy wrote:

      > I wonder whether its appropriate to use an
      > SMTP address of
      >
      > $path@$hostname
      >
      > given the URI
      >
      > http://$hostname/$path/
      >
      > (escaped appropriately of course)

      Umm....since all valid email address local name characters are valid
      URL characters...how are we
      going to do the escaping reliably????

      Jan

      > Does this qualify as 'asynchronous REST'? I'm imagining treating that
      > whole SMTP message as a POST to the resource identified by the SMTP
      > address (http://$hostname/$path/ above).

      ____________________
      Jan Algermissen, Consultant & Programmer
      http://jalgermissen.com
      Tugboat Consulting, 'Applying Web technology to enterprise IT'
      http://www.tugboat.de
    • Jeoff Wilks
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 10, 2005
        1. Could the mailto URI spec be used to fit the application?
        http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2368.txt  (page 2 has grammar and encoding details)

        2. If you absolutely have to encode a request URI into an email address itself...
        http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2822.txt  (see 3.4.1 Addr-spec, and then reference 3.2.4 Atom)

        "If the [local portion of the email address string] can be represented as a dot-atom (that is, it contains no characters other than atext characters or "." surrounded by atext characters), then the dot-atom form SHOULD be used ..."
         - 3.4.1 excerpt

        From the grammar, atext includes these characters:

        atext           =       ALPHA / DIGIT / ; Any character except controls,
                                "!" / "#" /     ;  SP, and specials.
                                "$" / "%" /     ;  Used for atoms
                                "&" / "'" /
                                "*" / "+" /
                                "-" / "/" /
                                "=" / "?" /
                                "^" / "_" /
                                "`" / "{" /
                                "|" / "}" /
                                "~"

        To support a wider range of characters, you could use a quoted-string (sec 3.2.5):

        "Strings of characters that include characters other than those allowed in atoms may be represented in a quoted string format, where the characters are surrounded by quote (DQUOTE, ASCII value 34) characters."

        That works as long as you don't need the " character...

        --Jeoff

        On 6/10/05, Jan Algermissen <jalgermissen@...> wrote:

        On Jun 7, 2005, at 9:47 AM, Vincent D Murphy wrote:

        >  I wonder whether its appropriate to use an
        > SMTP address of
        >
        > $path@$hostname
        >
        > given the URI
        >
        > http://$hostname/$path/
        >
        > (escaped appropriately of course)

        Umm....since all valid email address local name characters are valid
        URL characters...how are we
        going to do the escaping reliably????

        Jan

        > Does this qualify as 'asynchronous REST'? I'm imagining treating that
        > whole SMTP message as a POST to the resource identified by the SMTP
        > address (http://$hostname/$path/ above).

        ____________________
        Jan Algermissen, Consultant & Programmer
        http://jalgermissen.com
        Tugboat Consulting, 'Applying Web technology to enterprise IT'
        http://www.tugboat.de

        Yahoo! Groups Links

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 10, 2005
          Jeoff,

          thanks for this. I just did not get it from the text.

          And for another issue:

          Does anyone have an idea how to make use of the email's From address if
          HTTP authentication is required by the target resource?

          Is an email address a valid HTTP auth username? And one would need some
          identity verification, e.g. PGP for the From address...

          Jan