RE: [rest-discuss] doPost.

  • Dave Pawson
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 25, 2005
      On Mon, 2005-04-25 at 09:56 -0600, Lee Fife wrote:
      > All,
      >
      > fwiw, the idiom I tend to use for errors is to encode a human-readable
      > description of the error in the response body.
      >
      > I figure that something went wrong and some person is eventually going
      > to debug this -- that's who the error message is for. The program on
      > the other end can work off HTTP status code.

      I was hoping to make this a machine to machine transfer Lee.
      As you say though, given enough prompts, a sysadmin will
      (hopefully) pick it up.

      regards DaveP
    • Lee Fife
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 25, 2005
        Right -- the machine to machine portion runs off the HTTP status codes. That
        tells you if the transfer worked or not.

        When it doesn't, there's something wrong. And that typically means pulling a
        human into the loop somewhere. Could be that your code in turn received the
        content from somewhere else and just needs to forward the error on. Or maybe
        your code is at the point where it can process the parser error message and
        fix the posted body w/o human intervention.

        None of my code is at that point ...

        -Lee