hughw on service discovery and why you don't need WSDL

  • Vincent D Murphy
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2005
      http://hughw.blogspot.com/2005/02/when-you-sit-down-to-write-description.html

      "When you sit down to write a description language for REST services
      (a IDL or WSDL for REST), you discover that doing so is unnecessary.
      "Hypermedia as the engine of application state" means that the service,
      not the client, constructs the URLs the client needs to invoke via GET,
      POST, etc. The heart of an IDL or WSDL is that they are instructions for
      clients invoking the service."

      Hugh Gets It, and now, so do I. Fabulous post.
    • leighdodds2001
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1, 2005
        --- In rest-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "Vincent D Murphy" <vdm@v...>
        wrote:

        http://hughw.blogspot.com/2005/02/when-you-sit-dow
        n-to-write-description.html

        > "When you sit down to write a description language for REST services
        > (a IDL or WSDL for REST), you discover that doing so is unnecessary.

        I find that a little misleading, and no doubt it comes down to
        terminology, as Mark seems to agree with that posting also [1].

        While there's no _service_ description language, the posting
        does suggest there is a need for a _form_ description language.
        Which I agree with. Care needs to be taken when saying a
        "description language is unnecessary" as you need to identify
        what kind of language you're referring to. E.g. when I wrote
        this [2] I think I was mostly discussing a form description
        language. Or maybe not...

        Would anyone care to suggest a concrete definitions for "form
        description" and "service description"?

        It's just that I can imagine taking a bunch of RDF Form data, and
        then using that to identify a service that returns data in a format
        I'm interested in. Is that not "service description"?

        Not that I'm disagreeing with anything, just trying to home in
        on the differences.

        Cheers,

        L.

        [1].