[Fwd: The Restful Web]

  • Seth Johnson
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2 6:01 PM
      -------- Original Message --------
      Subject: The Restful Web
      Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 17:45:00 -0800
      From: XML.com Update <elists-admin@...>
      To: differance@...

      XML.com Xtra!
      ---------------------------------
      The Email for XML.com Subscribers

      Stylus Studio 6 -- new release!

      Check out our new Convert to XML tool. It makes XML
      transformation as
      easy as point-and-click. XSLT 2.0 support, new XML Schema
      designer, along
      with best-in-class features for creating and managing XML, XSLT,
      XQuery,
      SQL/XML, SOAP, XML Schema and DTD files make this our best
      release ever!
      Download a free 30-day trial from

      http://www.stylusstudio.com/xml_download.html

      Dear Reader,

      Welcome to another issue of the XML.com newsletter.

      When I became XML.com's Managing Editor this summer, taking over
      for the
      illustrious Edd Dumbill, I had a very specific editorial mission
      in mind:
      to move XML.com and its audience from an era of XML
      specifications to a
      new era of XML applications.

      Part of that mission included a more focused, sustained
      examination of
      REST as a way of building web applications and services--what I
      have
      started calling "XML over HTTP" development. This week's issue
      focuses
      almost exclusively on just that kind of app and service.

      Joe Gregorio, one of the chief movers behind the Atom Publishing
      Protocol,
      debuts a new XML.com column, The Restful Web, this week. Joe
      focuses on
      building application protocols using REST principles and HTTP.

      How to Create a REST Protocol
      <http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2004/12/01/restful-web.html>

      Next up, Mike Dierken, a long-time REST advocate, offers a
      comparison of
      several web notification systems, including Google and
      pubsub.com, and an
      anlysis of the degree to which each system exemplifies REST
      principles and
      best practices.

      Weblogs, Publish-Subscribe, and Web Collections: A REST Analysis
      <http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2004/12/01/pubsub.html>

      Bob DuCharme's Transforming XML column demonstrates the
      flexibility and
      utility of XSLT as a consumer of REST, that is, "XML over HTTP,"
      applications and services.

      XSLT Web Service Clients
      <http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2004/12/01/tr.html>

      Finally, Edd Dumbill files an XML-Deviant column in which he
      examines the
      heretofore thorny issue of Binary XML. Where is, Edd wonders, all
      the
      outrage?

      Faster, Faster!
      <http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2004/12/01/deviant.html>

      As always, thanks for reading.

      Kendall Clark
      kendall@...
      Managing Editor, XML.com

      Just Released - Altova XML Suite 2005

      Get the most comprehensive XML development toolset with the
      highest
      functionality and the best product value. Save a bundle when you
      purchase
      the Altova XML Suite! Get a FREE Apple iPod when you buy the
      Enterprise
      XML Suite with SMP from Altova--Get more details HERE!

      http://www.altova.com/ref?s=xmlcom&q=ipod

      *** XML News from the XML Cover Pages by Robin Cover ***

      OWL Web Ontology Language for Services (OWL-S) Specification
      Submitted to
      W3C

      RM4GS Open Source Middleware Supports Reliable Messaging for Grid
      Services

      CommerceNet Proposes Collecting Contributions to Purchase Key Web
      Services
      Patents

      IBM, Microsoft, and Sun Respond to TAC Recommendation on Open
      Document
      Exchange Format

      W3C Mobile Web Initiative (MWI) Workshop Addresses Web Access
      from Mobile
      Devices

      For more information on any of these stories visit:
      http://www.xml.com/pub/a/coverpage/newspage.html

      "Manage My Newsletters" link.

      For assistance, email xml-help@...