Fwd: Re: [rest-discuss] HTTP 202 Accepted and Polling for Completion.

  • sandeep@enterux.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 8, 2004
      Hey,

      According to section 10.2.3 of RFC 2616
      <http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec10.html#sec10.2.3>:

      "The entity returned with this response SHOULD include an indication of the
      request's current status and either a pointer to a status monitor or some
      estimate of when the user can expect the request to be fulfilled."

      So a representation that gives the (current status + ETA) or (status +
      status-monitor-URI) makes sense to me.

      Subsequent GET's on the status-monitor-URI might return a representation with
      the current status of the process and the location of the created resource if
      the processing was done as stated in the earlier mail:

      <order>
      <status>notdone</status>
      </order>

      and

      <order>
      <status>done</status>
      <location>http://foo.com/report/newid</location>
      </order>

      Each of those requests would return a 200 OK.

      That's how I would have done it. Is this approach RESTful?

      Sandeep