Re: [rest-discuss] Distributed Requests (Host header)

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 10, 2004
      David Powell wrote:

      > The request should actually look like this:
      >
      > telnet knowledgebase.org 8080
      >
      > GET http://some.org/persons/778726 HTTP/1.1
      > Host: some.org
      > Accept: application/rdf+xml

      Yes, right. I saw that error when I hit send, but I thought the
      point would come accross without a corrective note ;-)

      > The Host header has to be the host name of the destination server, not
      > the host name of intermediary.
      >
      > I was surprised by this because I assumed that Host behaved like a
      > hop-by-hop header and was just there to add back the host information
      > that sending the request via TCP/IP had stripped out.
      >
      > So although it is required, the Host header in a proxy request doesn't
      > actually do anything at all, especially as it is the responsibility of
      > the intermediary to rewrite it when it forwards the request anyway
      > (also 14.23).
      >
      > One effect of this is that intermediaries require an IP address
      > because they can't rely on DNS-based virtual hosting.

      Yes, a single server-application can only act as a single proxy. You
      cannot use different locations on the same host/port to invoke
      different proxies...

      Jan

      --
      Jan Algermissen http://www.topicmapping.com