When is a Verb also a Noun: When it's a Gerund

  • Jeffrey Winter
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 25 7:47 AM
      I think the short answer to "When is a Verb also a Noun"
      is: when it's a Gerund.

      From REST perspective, it's not calling a merge service so
      much as it's creating a "merging".

      >> The practical solution is to "elevate" the transaction
      >> itself to a full resource.
      >
      > Transactions, rollback, etc. is the baggage I didn't intend to bring
      over.

      > I'm more interested in the wisdom of nouns -> good, verbs -> bad and
      whether it
      > always holds. While I agree with it, I'm wondering just how strong an
      axiom it
      > is, and trying to find any exceptions, caveats or boundaries that
      might exist.

      Understood, I was just trying to provide an example of why
      a Gerund would need to be appealed to.

      - Jeff
    • Jon Hanna
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 25 8:06 AM
        > Understood, I was just trying to provide an example of why
        > a Gerund would need to be appealed to.

        Well I'd think of a gerund as a noun and more than as a verb, but yes a gerund
        is something that people might unnecessarily avoid because they hear that verbs
        are a Bad Thing even if it's natural to what they are building to use one. So
        thanks, that definitely counts as a possible boundary case to the verb/noun
        axiom.

        With that small success my quest continues... :)

        --
        Jon Hanna
        <http://www.hackcraft.net/>