Scalability Issues of 'Cascading Request'

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 14, 2004
      Hi,

      another question regarding intermediaries:

      I am thinking about a system where requests running through intermediaries
      might trigger them to issue multiple requests themselves (e.g. to harvest
      information from multiple information services and send the combination
      of all responses back to the client) and I am a bit frightened of the
      traffic[1] that such 'cascading requests' might cause.

      Does anyone know if there has been reserach on this or similar topics,
      especially regarding REST of course.

      (The responses from the information services would all be cachable but their
      diversity is rather unpredictable).

      Any pointers to books, papers etc. where I could start researching would
      really, really help. Thanks in advance.

      Jan

      [1] For example consider an intermediary that sends out a bunch of requests
      per URI that it finds in RDF documents running through it, leading to maybe
      hundreds or thousands of requests triggered by a single one through the
      intermediary. Oh, and of course the intermediary is likely to send its own
      requests through intermediaries of the same kind...

      --
      Jan Algermissen http://www.topicmapping.com
      Consultant & Programmer http://www.gooseworks.org