Restful URIs

  • Donald Strong
    Message 1 of 32 , Feb 4, 2004
      Hi,

      Why is there a preference, within the REST community, for URIs of the form

      http://university.edu/ws/student/001

      rather than this form?

      http://university.edu/ws/student?id=001

      Is there a specification that mandates the former or is it simply consensus
      within the group that the former is "more RESTful" than the latter?

      Donald.
    • Roy T. Fielding
      Message 32 of 32 , Feb 11, 2004
        On Wednesday, February 11, 2004, at 07:55 PM, Mark Baker wrote:
        > On Wed, Feb 11, 2004 at 05:56:27PM -0800, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
        >> The rationale for REST being different from RDA, aside from greater
        >> flexibility of implementation, is that remote data access interfaces
        >> are extremely susceptible to abuse by rogue clients.
        >
        > My hunch is that those are the same; that less implementation
        > flexibility yields more predictable forms of attack. Or perhaps you
        > had some more general concern in mind?

        That may be true as well, but I was referring to human factors:
        WWW server developers are far more paranoid than DBAs because they
        get abused when they aren't paranoid enough. Databases, in contrast,
        are sold by feature list, just like a word processor. The WWW server
        (or firewall) is supposed to protect the DB from the real world.

        ....Roy