300 response entity format

  • Tyler Close
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 9, 2003
      Section 10.3.1 of RFC 2616 says the following about the 300
      Multiple Choices status code:

      "Unless it was a HEAD request, the response SHOULD include an
      entity containing a list of resource characteristics and
      location(s) from which the user or user agent can choose the one
      most appropriate. The entity format is specified by the media type
      given in the Content- Type header field. Depending upon the format
      and the capabilities of the user agent, selection of the most
      appropriate choice MAY be performed automatically. However, this
      specification does not define any standard for such automatic
      selection."

      Are there any specifications or applications that do define such
      behaviour? I have an application that needs to return a list of
      redirection URIs. If there is an existing practice for doing this,
      I'll follow that rather than define something new.

      For the curious, an httpsy redirectory needs to be able to return
      at least two redirection URLs: one for outside the NAT clients and
      one for inside the NAT clients. See:

      http://www.waterken.com/dev/YURL/httpsy/

      Tyler

      --
      The union of REST and capability-based security.
      http://www.waterken.com/dev/Web/
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 9, 2003
        I don't know of any standard practice, but if you are just returning
        list of URIs, you may want to look at RFC2483, section 5 (text/uri-list)
        [1].

        Seairth

        [1] http://www.zvon.org/tmRFC/RFC2483/Output/chapter5.html

        "Tyler Close" wrote:

        >Section 10.3.1 of RFC 2616 says the following about the 300
        >Multiple Choices status code:
        >
        >"Unless it was a HEAD request, the response SHOULD include an
        >entity containing a list of resource characteristics and
        >location(s) from which the user or user agent can choose the one
        >most appropriate. The entity format is specified by the media type
        >given in the Content- Type header field. Depending upon the format
        >and the capabilities of the user agent, selection of the most
        >appropriate choice MAY be performed automatically. However, this
        >specification does not define any standard for such automatic
        >selection."
        >
        >Are there any specifications or applications that do define such
        >behaviour? I have an application that needs to return a list of
        >redirection URIs. If there is an existing practice for doing this,
        >I'll follow that rather than define something new.
        >
        >For the curious, an httpsy redirectory needs to be able to return
        >at least two redirection URLs: one for outside the NAT clients and
        >one for inside the NAT clients. See:
        >
        >http://www.waterken.com/dev/YURL/httpsy/
        >
        >Tyler

      • Mark Baker
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 11, 2003
          Have you considered RDF? It seems the kind of framework one might want
          for, appropriately enough, describing resources 8-)

          e.g.

          <rdf:RDF>
          <tyler:InternetURI rdf:about="uri1"/>
          <tyler:IntranetURI rdf:about="uri2"/>