Roles

  • Gustaf Liljegren
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 27, 2003
      A short question. In W3C's "Architecture of the World Wide Web" document
      [1], REST has been distilled into the following items:

      - statelessness
      - clear assignment of roles to parties
      - uniform address space
      - limited, uniform set of verbs

      I understand all of these, except number two. What are "roles" and
      "parties" in the REST context?

      Thanks,

      Gustaf

      --
      1. http://www.w3.org/TR/webarch/#rest-model
    • Mark Baker
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 28, 2003
        It presumably refers to the roles of components, but it could be
        clearer; "party" could also refer to the authority under which
        a component acts.

        Mark.

        --
        Mark Baker. Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA. http://www.markbaker.ca
      • Walden Mathews
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 28, 2003
          Yes, it really could be clearer. I don't remember REST
          constraining roles beyond the level of "client" and "server",
          and even those are temporal assignments.

          I would be interesting to know where they got that.

          Walden

          : It presumably refers to the roles of components, but it could be
          : clearer; "party" could also refer to the authority under which
          : a component acts.
          :
          : Mark.
          :
          : On Fri, Nov 28, 2003 at 02:39:56AM +0100, Gustaf Liljegren wrote:
          : > A short question. In W3C's "Architecture of the World Wide Web" document
          : > [1], REST has been distilled into the following items:
          : >
          : > - statelessness
          : > - clear assignment of roles to parties
          : > - uniform address space
          : > - limited, uniform set of verbs
          : >
          : > I understand all of these, except number two. What are "roles" and
          : > "parties" in the REST context?
          : >
          : > Thanks,
          : >
          : > Gustaf
          :
          : --
          : Mark Baker. Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA. http://www.markbaker.ca
          :
          :
          : To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
          :
          :
          :
          :
          :
          :
          : __________ NOD32 1.565 (20031127) Information __________
          :
          : This message was checked by NOD32 Antivirus System.
          : http://www.nod32.com
          :
          :
        • Mark Baker
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 28, 2003
            I figured that Ian probably got it from;

            http://www.ics.uci.edu/~fielding/pubs/dissertation/rest_arch_style.htm#sec_5_2

            and

            http://www.ics.uci.edu/~fielding/pubs/dissertation/rest_arch_style.htm#sec_5_2_3

            Mark.