ReST vs MoST

  • Yannick Loiseau
    Message 1 of 32 , Aug 6, 2003
      As I understand it, MoST is a data driven standardised interface. Stuck
      to xml. But I've allway understood ReST in this way. if you get a uri,
      you receive a representation (that you can unmarshall/deserialize,
      however you're doing it), if you put a serialized/marshalled resource to
      a uri, you update it (however the server deals with this
      repressentation). if you post to a container uri, you append a resource
      whatever it can mean in the server logic.
      as an example, a messaging service can be modeled as
      GET /my/inbox/ : return a list of messages' uri , in any format that is
      understandable by server and client.
      GET <message uri> : return a message, in any format...
      POST /your/inbox/
      message : send a message ...
      DELETE <message uri> : delete the message... this can just delete it
      from the list, or delete the mapping of the uri, of delete the file, or
      delete the DB record .... I don't have to know how the server understand
      the representation, as long as the message uri become unreachable .

      formats can be just mime for messages and a list of plain text
      "subject : uri " for inbox, as long as both client and server can
      understand (i.e. parse/(de)serialize/(un)marshall) it. All you need to
      know are these format (i.e. schemas, in a wide sense). but that is true
      in any client/server system.

      This is a simple service, but it helps to understand.
      How do you model this in MoST ??
    • Mike Dierken
      Message 32 of 32 , Aug 11, 2003
        >GET without an Accept header implies fidelity).
        Don't forget user-agent.