OT: terminology?

  • Seairth Jacobs
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 28, 2003
      We all know that

      API = Application Program(ming) Interface

      However, is this the correct terminology for RESTful interfaces (as
      implemented with HTTP)? Somehow, "API" doesn't seem right. I would think
      something like

      HTTPAI = HTTP Application Interface

      or

      ARI = Application Representation Interface

      or

      ASI = Application State Interface

      or

      RRI = Resource Representation Interface

      or

      RHI = REST-HTTP Interface

      or something along those lines would be more appropriate... Is there such a
      term already? If not, any thoughts on what a good one would be?

      ---
      Seairth Jacobs
      seairth@...
    • Walden Mathews
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 28, 2003
        network programming interface

        > API = Application Program(ming) Interface
        >
        > However, is this the correct terminology for RESTful interfaces (as
        > implemented with HTTP)? Somehow, "API" doesn't seem right. I would think
        > something like
        >
        > HTTPAI = HTTP Application Interface
        >
        > or
        >
        > ARI = Application Representation Interface
        >
        > or
        >
        > ASI = Application State Interface
        >
        > or
        >
        > RRI = Resource Representation Interface
        >
        > or
        >
        > RHI = REST-HTTP Interface
        >
        > or something along those lines would be more appropriate... Is there such
        > term already? If not, any thoughts on what a good one would be?
        >
        > ---
        > Seairth Jacobs
        > seairth@...

      • Michael Day
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 28, 2003
          > However, is this the correct terminology for RESTful interfaces (as
          > implemented with HTTP)? Somehow, "API" doesn't seem right. I would think
          > something like

          An API provides an interface without which the code/library/service cannot
          be used. However a RESTful interface uses hypertext as the engine of
          application state (so the set of possible transitions is documented in the
          instance data, not in some external interface definition) with a small set
          of known verbs. So it seems to me that no such term is necessary, aside
          from "RESTful interface" (RI?).

          Michael

          --
          YesLogic Prince prints XML!
          http://yeslogic.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 29, 2003
            On Monday 28 July 2003 19:45, Michael Day wrote:
            > > However, is this the correct terminology for RESTful interfaces (as
            > > implemented with HTTP)? Somehow, "API" doesn't seem right. I would
            > > think something like
            >
            > An API provides an interface without which the code/library/service cannot
            > be used. However a RESTful interface uses hypertext as the engine of
            > application state (so the set of possible transitions is documented in the
            > instance data, not in some external interface definition) with a small set
            > of known verbs. So it seems to me that no such term is necessary, aside
            > from "RESTful interface" (RI?).

            But the document schemas are a prerequisite. Even with GET, the
            programmer needs to know how to interpret the returned document.
            The HTML spec has to exist for the WWW to work.

            W3 specs of this kind seem to be called "languages". Perhaps the
            replacement for API is AL (Application Language).

            Tyler

            --
            The union of REST and capability-based security:
            http://www.waterken.com/dev/Web/
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 28, 2003
              How about "application resource space"?

              Doesn't have the greatest acronym, though.

              We do use the phrase "REST API" in our company, and it has kind
              of bugged me. But in design discussions we talk about "mapping
              concepts to the resource space", so that seems to be the idea to
              emphasize.

              Justin

            • Phil Eskelin
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 29, 2003
                In my toolkit, which I currently call Rest++, I have RESTful Template
                Library, or RTL, which coexists along side ATL, STL, and WTL frameworks.
                RTL uses Xerces-C v2.3 and is what the rest of the samples and services I'm
                currently programming for the toolkit are built on.

                So if you're using Visual C++ and can use these frameworks in your
                application, then you'll have a rich set of tools that cooperate nicely and
                allow you to rapidly build applications in C++.

                Doesn't have the greatest acronym, though.

                We do use the phrase "REST API" in our company, and it has kind
                of bugged me. But in design discussions we talk about "mapping
                concepts to the resource space", so that seems to be the idea to
                emphasize.

                Justin

                e-mail is strictly forbidden. TradeWeb reserves the right to monitor all
                e-mail communications through its networks.
              • Alex Jacobson
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 4, 2003
                  Why not simply talk about document types? What exactly is a RESTful API
                  aside from the verbs of HTTP?

                  -Alex-

                  S. Alexander Jacobson i2x Media
                  1-212-787-1914 voice 1-603-288-1280 fax

                  --On Friday, August 29, 2003 2:26 PM +0100 Phil Eskelin

                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 5, 2003
                    I don't really think of it as an API - the only API that exists in my opinion is the HTTP API. The framework is built upon this core API and provides you with reusable classes that allow, among other things, for connection between components and exchange of representations. If you read Fielding's dissertation, it should be easy for you to imagine other classes that might exist in this framework as well.

                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 5, 2003
                      I read Fielding's dissertation. If you read RFC2616, you can see why I ask
                      this question. A framework compliant with RFC2616, would simply be a set
                      of types with operations for GET/PUT/POST/DELETE against instances. An
                      HTTP resource is simply something which exposes these methods. Conneg is
                      completely optional. What are the classes in your framework?

                      -Alex-

                      --On Friday, September 05, 2003 2:20 PM +0100 Phil Eskelin